Tuesday, September 10, 2013

An email to my #SAVMP mentees

As I was visiting classrooms the last six days, I often wondered if I was providing the proper support for my #SAVMP mentees.  The four of us are from different parts of the world (Wisconsin- me, Texas- Kelley, Darshan- Massachusetts, and Brad- Australia) but I know that we are all educators who strive to do the best for our kids.  Just barely a week into school, I sent them all this email to provide any support that I can.

"Good morning, afternoon, or evening, depending upon when you have a chance to read this email.  I hope that all is going well in each of your schools up to this point.  I feel like I have been less than a proper mentor as I have started the school year.  We are in day 6 and things are going pretty well.  Many staff have mentioned that this is the best start of a school year that they can remember.  I believe it's due to the expectations, routines, and relationships that have been established since day 1.  Please know that I think about each of you throughout the school day and while I'm at home on twitter.  If I can be of any assistance to you, please reach out and ask.  I'll do my best to provide you with direction and my thoughts on any situation you might bring forward.
On a personal note, I thought I'd tell you all a little bit about myself.  I have been married for nearly 21 years to the love of my life and we have a beautiful daughter who is an 8th grader in the school where I am principal.  We love to travel to Fox Lake, a short hour trip away, to relax and get away from it all.  I honestly need to do more of that, especially once the school year is firmly underway.  I enjoy running, golfing (which I don't do well), fishing, and being in school with the kids.  I work with an incredible staff who all go out of their way to do what's best for kids.
If you are willing and able, please share a little bit about yourselves with the rest of us.  I am excited about the school year and the learning we will do together from Wisconsin, Texas, Massachusetts, and Australia.
Enjoy the day!
Jay"

The reason for the email was to extend a hand, either to walk with them or to guide them along.  I look forward to continuing this mentor/mentee relationship throughout the school year.  We have so much to learn from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment