Friday, January 8, 2016

One word...

As we begin the calendar year, I once again am challenging each of us to come up with one word that is your focus for the year.  Last year mine was focus, and although it was only one word, I found that it wasn't specific enough.  Focus is a great word, but what is it that I would focus on?  Family, kids, staff, friends, running...  You get my point?  So this year, I've decided to concentrate on the word TOGETHER.  Together we can be so much better.  If you are interested, here is my blog post for the #oneword2016 challenge (link to Twitter hashtag included).  I encourage each of you to come up with your #oneword and share it with others.  Maybe you could post it on our staff blog (hint, hint).  If you're interested, just let me know.  I'm also going to provide a space for us all, both staff and students, to post these in the lobby.

Calendar
Wednesday, January 13      RtI Wednesday- All teaching staff meets at 8:00 in the Little Theater
                                              Mark Flynn will be speaking with the students about Penny Wars
Friday, January 15               Environmental Club at 8:00 in the library

Tweets, blogs, and quotes
"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."- Eleanor Roosevelt, US first lady, diplomat, and activist
"If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try."- Seth Godin, writer and entrepreneur
Coming soon- Positive Post It Day! (We'll need to choose a day to do this for the entire school!)
Find your 10 minutes (I shared this from @Jonharper70bd on Thursday)
"Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo."- John Sinclair, poet
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves."- Henry David Thoreau, author and poet
@mertonint on Twitter
#mertonint on Twitter
Merton Intermediate School Facebook page
Family smore for 1.8.16

(from @yankee_todd)

This is a rather short nuts and bolts, but that's okay.  I haven't been in as many classes as I would have liked this week, but that's okay.  Sometimes what we have planned is changed and we just have to deal with it.  That goes along with the graphic above.  I woke up this morning and said to myself, "Self.  Today is a new day.  Refill the glass and make it a "No office day."  Get into classes, learn with the kids, and give feedback to the teachers."  So that's what I'm going to do.  To paraphrase the graphic, "The glass isn't half full or half empty.  It's refillable."

Have a great Friday and a great weekend!
Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment