Friday, May 11, 2018

Reflecting on our year

Believe it or not, I'm a pretty reflective person.  It happens a lot while I'm running, or walking the halls, or driving around.  Every day I think back on many different things to see what I can celebrate and what I need to do better tomorrow.  This week has been overly filled with reflective moments, some of celebration and some of wanting to do something completely different the next time.  Why is it that I tend to focus on the things I should do better?  Why can't I just celebrate the good once in a while?  Maybe you feel the same way.  If you do feel like I do, let's find something to celebrate together next week.

Great things I saw this week...
Everybody wearing their baseball shirts on Monday.
Monday's softball game with the smiles from kids and staff.
Staff "taking one for the team" to be with our kids while the rest of us played or coached.
Wiffle ball games during PE and at recess.
Spheros, Vex robots, and all things creation in Science classes.
Kids reading and gaining background information for documentaries.
A text message to share a huge gain in MAPs so that I could let the student know how proud I am of him.
Getting closer to the end of MAP and F&P testing for the year.
The individual and small group attention you give our kids every day.
More volunteers than I can remember for starfish and frog dissections.
The pride Jen has in our book fair.
Michael and the kids getting ready for Grandparents' Day.
#1 all time- Dan suggesting a collection for an 8th grader, and the staff filling an envelope to make sure his graduation is something that he will remember.  Thanks, Dan!

Calendar
Monday, May 14th
End of year EE meetings start

Tuesday, May 15th
4:15  Homework Club
5:30  Spring Concerts

Thursday, May 17th
Grade level and specials meetings
4:15  Homework Club

Friday, May 18th
1:30  Family tour

Future Dates
Monday, May 21st- BLT meeting (8AM)
Tuesday, May 22nd-Thursday, May 24th- 5th grade at camp
Thursday May 24th- Career Day (8:30-11:30)
Monday, May 28th- Memorial Day (No School)
Friday, June 1st- Celebration Day
Tuesday, June 5th- 8th grade Day Away and dance
Wednesday, June 6th- Awards assembly and 8th grade graduation
Thursday, June 7th- Last day of school (half day)

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
Saying "Yes" to Yourself (from George Couros)

The great man does not think beforehand of his words that they may be sincere, nor of his actions that they may be resolute -- he simply speaks and does what is right.
Mencius,
philosopher

Keep Your Head Up and Keep Creating (from George Couros)

(from Pinterest)

Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen.
John Steinbeck,
writer

Surviving the Home Stretch (from Dan Tricarico via Dave Burgess)

The secret of living a life of excellence is merely a matter of thinking thoughts of excellence.
Charles Swindoll,
pastor

"I think you have one time around.  And I don't know what's going to be in existence in six months or a year.  So, I think that you're here on earth to make some kind of contribution...But, I'm impatient.  I suppose, I would hope everybody would be impatient."
Robert Kennedy, 1925-1968, American politician
You have to be absolutely frank with yourself. Face your handicaps; don't try to hide them. Instead, develop something else.
Audrey Hepburn,
actress


And What Do We End With? (from Pernille Ripp)

Family smore for 5.11.18

Yesterday, one of our colleagues asked me how I do all that I do every day as a principal.  What I do pales in comparison to what each of you do.  You are a teacher, and if you were to write a list of all of the duties you actually do every day, what would you put on the list?  I won't even start as my list would not be inclusive enough or as accurate as the list you would make.  What I do know is that your love of kids would be at the top.  I witness it every day and am so impressed by what you do for and with our kids.  The kids and families might not tell you enough how thankful they are for all that you do, but know that they are.  And know that I am thankful, too.  You live the words that ends every weekly nuts and bolts- Be the one.
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment