Friday, October 12, 2018

Back to normal?

Well, this was another different week, especially for our 8th graders with career learning and a play.  Next week looks like it will be relatively normal, but what does that mean?  I've also heard from some of you and some in my PLN that the honeymoon is over.  I disagree.  We just have an opportunity to start another honeymoon.  That may sound crazy, but let me share a story with you that might help this make more sense.  Years ago, I worked at an ice cream stand in Land O'Lakes, WI during the summers.  One of the things I loved to do when I wasn't working was to go fishing.  My friends and I used to visit this bait shop to get mud minnows and the owner was always really nice to us and gave us updates on the fishing conditions.  He was married and made sure to introduce his wife to us, every time, as his bride.  He told us that, if you find the right wife, you'll have a new honeymoon every day.  I know that it sounds a bit sappy, but that message still resonates with me even 30 years later.  I encourage you to take his advice and make today the start of a new honeymoon with our kids.  What will you do to make things amazing, to continue to build on relationships, and to let the kids know that we care about them more every day?  I know it's a challenge, but I also know that you are up for it.

Great things I saw this week...
Some incredible mini-lessons and read alouds
Conversations with students about the books they're reading
Conversations with staff that just blew me away
Barb, Lori, Jackie, Matt, Sarah, Holly, Brian V., Julie, Ashley and others helping out on Wednesday in ways they don't even know but I know, so thank you!
Great conversations about math
Incredible work to bring the best lessons, activities, and learning for our kids
A great Thursday after an interesting Wednesday
Team meetings where we discussed solutions and while not celebrating the struggles
Outdoor recess on a blustery Thursday
Jon working with our new student on his trombone playing, and I got to direct the band, too!
Our PTO is awesome, and I saw them in action at Thursday's meeting

Calendar
Intermediate School Special Events

Monday, October 15th
PTO grants due

Wednesday, October 17th
Culver's Night

Thursday, October 18th
Invitational only conferences from 4:30-8:00

Monday, October 22nd-Wednesday, October 24th
Red Ribbon Week

Thursday, October 25th
All day PD day from 8:00-4:00

Friday, October 26th
No school

Saturday, October 27th
EdCamp Walker's Point

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
Kurt Vonnegut,
writer

(from Jen)

4 Steps to Deal With Not Feeling Supported (from George Couros- and please let me know if you feel this way so that we can work together to get the support that you need)


We do have to be careful to cast our gaze as widely as possible. If we look only for the lessons that reinforce decisions we have already made, we will run into trouble.
Margaret MacMillan,
historian


(This comes from my good friend, Jessica Cabeen, former kindergarten principal who is now a middle school principal, thus the #ThankAPrincipal hashtag.  Seriously think about this. We are good at accepting criticisms.  We need to be just as good at accepting compliments.)

It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well.
Rene Descartes,
mathematician and philosopher


See the Small (from Pernille Ripp)

The best way out is always through.
Robert Frost,
poet
#mertonint on Twitter
#MertonProud on Twitter
Merton Intermediate School Facebook page
mertonint on Instagram
Family smore from 10.12.18

Next week is conferences, so instead of grade level meetings, please use the time to discuss the students you will be seeing.  If you need me to cover a class so that someone can join your meeting (special education teachers or assistant and elective teachers, for instance), I'm happy to do so.  A special shout out to Barb for her scheduling and phone calls to get all of your requests scheduled.  It was quite a puzzle and she did an awesome job.
Be the spark!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment