Friday, December 7, 2018

The grass is always greener, or is it?

I've been reflecting upon my life as an educator recently, having spent more than half of my life in education.  I've been an educator nearly 32 years, 29 of those as a middle school educator.  Some would say that is quite an accomplishment.  Others would say that's a bit crazy.  An accomplishment because I've been an educator for so long and crazy because I've been in middle school that long.  I wouldn't change my middle school educator life for anything.
I had the privilege of attending and presenting at SLATE this week.  Check out the hashtag, #slateinwi, from the 3 days of learning.  I got the chance to speak with a lot of people, and even had a 5 minute conversation with George Couros all by myself!  He even remembered my name, but I was wearing a name badge so maybe he's just a really good reader.  Anyway, the conversations I had brought this quote to mind.  It's another quote that Jen found for me.


I listened to stories from people, mostly from Wisconsin, about their schools and the people with whom they work.  I heard some great things, and some not so great things, about their schools and colleagues.  So I sat back and smiled, realizing the great opportunity that I have in Merton to serve as your principal.  I'm not saying that it's all rainbows and unicorns, but we are fortunate to work together for our students every day.  I am honored, humbled, and proud to work with and for you every day.

Great things I saw this week...
Basketball tourney during lunch.
Lots of reading and writing.
Lexi doing a great job student teaching in Spanish.
I got back from SLATE, and the learning I saw was amazing!
The support of Barb, Michael, Dave, Holly, and Dan covering lunch duties, and Holly and Jeannette taking over Homework Club while I was gone.
The chance to connect with a student to tell him how proud I was of him after I read a great email Joanne sent to his family.
Smiles on the faces of students and staff when they returned from The Christmas Carol.
The smiles brought about by my incredible vest.
(In case you missed, or need a picture for blackmail, here it is!)

Calendar
Intermediate School Special Events

Monday, December 10th- Friday, December 14th
NJHS Penny Wars

Tuesday, December 11th
Dress up for the Holiday Concerts
Holiday Concerts (Band-5:30, Choir-7:00)

Wednesday, December 12th
WIN Wednesday

Thursday, December 13th
Lunch on Jay and Jen

Friday, December 14th
Packers gear (It's Bears week!)

Monday, December 17th
Holiday Spirit Week- Merry Red and Green Day

Tuesday, December 18th
Encore Choir and Jazz Band caroling (all day)
PTO brunch and wrap
Holiday Spirit Week- Holiday/Ugly Sweater Day

Wednesday, December 19th
Holiday Spirit Week- Holiday Hat Day

Thursday, December 20th
Holiday Spirit Week- Flannel and Fuzzy Socks Day

Friday, December 21st
Holiday Spirit Week- Polar Express Pajama Day
Raffle! (You'll get a ticket every day that you participate in our dress up days!)

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
Focus on the Now (from Annie Pankowski, Wisconsin Womens' Hockey player)


Reclaiming our Calling; the new book from Brad Gustafson (from George Couros. Make sure to check out the "Big 3" table below from the book.)


Check out this website shared with me at SLATE (Academy of Achievement). It just might spark something in one of our kids.

EdCampElmbrook is March 2nd.  You can register here.

Doing Our Best with the Knowledge We Have (from George Couros)

Ike Ant (from Jeff Kubiak)

mertonint on Instagram
Family smore from 12.7.18

Be the spark!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment