Friday, July 19, 2019

Sharing "good things Merton"

The last two weeks I have been fortunate to share the "good things Merton" with principals from all over the country.  It started with a trip to Spokane, WA on July 10th and will end when I return from Boston, MA on July 20th.  I shared the incredible things I see in our school.  The lessons, the relationships, the discussions, the high fives, the hugs, and all of the things that make Merton such a great place to learn.  But it doesn't stop there.  It continues when we're at school and we share the things that are happening with others, either on social media or, more importantly, face to face with the people we encounter in while we're out and about.  As my good friend Joe Sanfelippo says, "You better share your story because if you don't, others will tell your story and it might not be the story you want them to tell.

Calendar
It's still summer time!
Don't forget to let me know if you are meeting as a team before Summer Academy.  If you are meeting before the first day of Summer Academy, I'd love to join you if it fits into my schedule.  If it doesn't, that's just fine.  If you are meeting on the first day of Summer Academy, I'd love to join you.  Summer Academy starts for everyone on August 20th.  If you don't meet as a team before Summer Academy, I'll see you on August 19th.
Check out the email that Mary sent on July 9th about the Intermediate Calendar that's now on Google!  She also made this Screencastify as a tutorial for adding events.  Thanks, Mary!

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
I'd love your thoughts on the graphic below.  I got this from Heidy LaFleur of Common Sense Leadership.

They always say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.
Andy Warhol,
artist, director and producer

(Shared on Voxer by Kelley Begley-McCall after the NAESP conference in Spokane.  Can we make our students, and can I make all of you, feel that way every day?)

"I'm glad you're here." (from George Couros)

You can never solve a problem without talking to people with whom you disagree.
Olympia Snowe,
politician

The right kind of connected (my most recent post)


Talk is cheap. Words are plentiful. Deeds are precious.
Ross Perot,
business magnate, philanthropist, politician 

11 Reasons Why Teaching Middle School is the Best Job Ever (from We Are Teachers)

Don't try to rush things: for the cup to run over, it must first be filled.
Antonio Machado,
poet


These Kids, Our Kids (from Pernille Ripp)

Anything you read can influence your work, so I try to read good stuff.
S.E. Hinton,
writer

(I feel like this more than I care to admit!)

You have to believe in the long term plan you have but you need the short term goals to motivate and inspire you.
Roger Federer,
professional tennis player

The Importance of Gratitude (from George Couros)

What's important is that you make the leap. Jump high and hard with intention and heart.
Cheryl Strayed,
writer



The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer.
Edward R. Murrow,
journalist


Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.
Scott Adams,
cartoonist
mertonint on Instagram

It's hard to believe that it's been two weeks since I last reached out to you.  Summer School is going well.  I've had the chance to present in Spokane and Boston about the great things that we do as a school.  As I listened to others speak about their schools, I realized just how lucky I am to work with such incredible people who do their best every day for our kids.  Thank you for making Merton the great place that it is.  I'll be back in touch again in two weeks, but feel free to stop if you're in the neighborhood.
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment