Friday, January 24, 2020

Being positive

You probably all know that I enjoy reading George Couros' blog posts.  Here is an excerpt from one of his blogs over the weekend.  Pay particular attention to the quote in the middle.


Something Profound  
A blog I have been reading forever and love is "Marc and Angel Hack Life – Practical Tips for Productive Living."  For lack of a better way to describe it, there is a ton of great information on being human on this blog. I rarely read a post that I do not take something away from.
This was one of my favorite recent quotes from a post, "20 Powerful Affirmations We Should Repeat to Ourselves This Year":

"Being positive does not mean ignoring the negative. Being positive means overcoming the negative. There is a big difference between the two.” 

This quote really sums up how I try to live life and find solutions where it is hard to do so.
You can check out the entire blog at marcandangel.com.

We all have a choice of being either positive or negative.  I do my best every day to choose positive.  Do negative thoughts pop into my head?  Of course they do, but I have a choice to focus on the negative or change to the positive.  Is it easy- No!  But a change in your mindset can cause a change in the mindset of others, and who doesn't want to be in a climate of positivity?  Let's see what being positive can do for all of us.

Great things that I saw this week...
All of the awesome discussions and participation during SEL training on Monday
The start of the third quarter!
Creating healthy snacks in Health class
Read alouds (Raymond's Run) in LA focusing on SEL
The flexibility of Becky and Matt to make 3 on 3 basketball work this quarter
The flexibility of Becky and Sarah so that I could do MAP makeups
Your flexibility so that I could do MAP makeups
The effort of the kids while doing MAP makeups, and we're almost done!
Students observing in Science
Snow at recess
Honest conversations during grade level meetings

Name it.  Claim it.  Explain it.
Thanks to Jolie for playing along last week.

Calendar
Please continue to review the Intermediate Special Events Calendar at our weekly grade level and specials meetings, too.  I need your help with lunch and recess on the highlighted dates.  GOOSE passes for all who help out! 

Friday, January 24th
Staff gathering at Sarah Phillips' house- sign up here

Sunday, January 26th
PTO Bowling at Sussex Bowl

Monday, January 27th
BLT meeting 4:15PM
School board meeting 7PM

Thursday, January 30th
A-team meeting 1:15PM

Tuesday, February 4th
8th grade Junior Achievement field trip

Thursday, February 6th
PTO meeting 2:30PM

Tuesday, February 11th
Restorative Practices training

Wednesday, February 12th
WIN Wednesday
Yearbook Activity pictures taken
Restorative Practices training
AWSA conference

Thursday, February 13th
AWSA conference

Friday, February 14th
PD Day
AWSA conference

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
(LessonsLearnedInLife.com)



(Getting Relationships Right by Kent Pekel- shared by Jessica Cabeen.  It is worth 15 minutes of your time.)

At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.
Frida Kahlo,
artist

We have incredibly lucky kids and I am one lucky principal
On Wednesday I was at Teachscape training.  I watched three separate videos of teachers in their classrooms.  They each knew they were being videoed (Is that a word?).  Two of the teachers were pretty good and did some of the things you all do every day, but not all of the things you do every day.  One of the teachers, honestly, was difficult to watch.  I joked with Ron that I would have provided that teacher with an application to Menards.  Not that there's anything wrong with Menards, but this particular teacher was doing a disservice to the kids and herself.  I say that our kids are lucky because you provide them with amazing learning opportunities every day.  I am one lucky principal because I have the incredible opportunity to see you with our kids, and each other, every day.  I don't take this for granted at all.  Thank you for all that you do for our kids and each other.
#JustInspire
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment