Friday, August 14, 2020

How are you doing?

I'm sitting in my office, thinking about the school year and I have a smile on my face.  It's not a nervous smile.  It's an excited smile.  I'm excited to get the kids and you back in the building.  I'm excited to hear the sounds of learning.  I'm excited for the conversations.  But I must admit, I'm not always smiling that excited smile.  I sometimes am asked questions and the only answer I  have is "I don't know".  I'm getting more comfortable saying that.  So with this realization, I have two questions for you.
  • How are you doing?
  • What questions do you have for me?
If you'd do me a favor and you feel comfortable, please call/text/email these questions to me so we can start some conversations.  If you'd just like to chat in person, we can do that, too!  Don't forget to be BRAVE- remember that from my last post?  These questions will help guide me in creating a staff meeting that will answer your questions, talk about Intermediate School procedures, and reconnect as a family.  Together we will continue to support one another throughout the school year.

Calendar
Monday, August 17th
School board meeting 7PM

Tuesday, August 18th
Online registration

Wednesday, August 19th
Summer Academy 8AM-4PM

Thursday, August 20th
Summer Academy 8AM-4PM
Adult tour of Learning Spaces 5PM-8PM (Staff should not attend)

Monday, August 24th
Summer Academy 8AM-4PM

Tuesday, August 25th
Summer Academy 8AM-4PM

Wednesday, August 26th
Open House 11AM-7PM

Thursday, August 27th
Summer Academy 8AM-4PM

Flex day responsibilities
Here is a reminder of our flex day responsibilities.  If you have any questions about any of these, please let me know.

Summer academy information
Here is a document that will help guide our summer academy work.  This is a draft and will be adjusted to meet your needs as we move through the days.  If you have any questions about any of these, please let me know.

100% Staff Virtual Learning Expectations
Here is a document to clarify our virtual learning expectations.  We will discuss this in greater detail during summer academy but we felt it was important to share this so that you could come with any individual or group questions.

Thank you is not enough...
Our custodial team is doing amazing work.  Katie and Mary and Martica and Abby are doing amazing work preparing for our Summer Academy.  Heidi, Carey, Joanne, Michelle, Brian F., Patrick, Colleen, Jackie, and Jonathan have all moved classrooms (sometimes more than once).  Jennifer and Brian V. are in spaces that are new for them, too.  I've been lucky to have the support and encouragement of Lori, Becca, John, Jim, and Ron as we prepare for an amazing school year.  I'm sure that I'm forgetting someone, and I apologize for that, but I wanted you to know that I thank you for your efforts.  It's an honor to go to school with all of you every day!




A new hobby
During the summer months, I became focused on taking pictures of the outdoors.  The three pictures about are all of Fox Lake.  The top one is of many sunsets in Fox Lake this summer.  The middle one was taken in June and includes just a bit of my brother in law's house.  The bottom one is a surprise lilly taken the morning of Jen's mom's funeral.  Why am I sharing this with you?  Although my brother in law's girlfriend would disagree with this statement, it's not to brag about the amazing quality of my cellphone camera (Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ if you want to know.).  I'm sharing these photos with you because I've never been one to slow down enough and enjoy a sunset or a blooming flower.  Because of the stress of these last months, I've purposefully stopped and noticed things I haven't noticed before.  It has helped my relax and think about something other than six feet of physical distance or face masks.  Don't get me wrong.  Six feet and masks are important, but so are sunsets and flowers.  With school quickly approaching, take time to breathe and notice things that you might be taking for granted.  That's all for now.  I'm going home to run and have a pizza with Jen.
Have a great weekend!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment