Friday, October 30, 2020

"Err on the side of positive"- George Couros (a reflection)

 I was listening to one of George Couros' podcasts on Friday afternoon, and this quote really struck me.


I think that it struck because I remember reading a number of tweets about toxic positivity.  The kind of positive I'm thinking about is looking at a situation and erring on the side of positive.  George shared this story (embedded in this blog) in his podcast about a man on a subway with his kids who were acting out.  I won't spoil the story, but every time I read or hear the story I think that the man is doing the best that he can at that moment.  And when we see people, including ourselves, acting in ways that might not equate with the situation, I encourage you to err on the side of positive and believe that they, and we, are doing the best that we can.

Calendar
Monday, November 2nd    Food drive begins (no classroom competitions)
Tuesday, November 3rd    8th grade Aspire AM
Wednesday, November 4th    8th grade Aspire PM/ Staff meeting 7:45AM (Plan for 11/5 or 11/12 conferences)/ 6th grade Aspire AM
Thursday, November 5th    6th grade Aspire PM/ 5th and 7th grade conferences/ Virtual materials to office by 4PM
Friday, November 6th    Material pickup
Tuesday, November 10th    7th grade Aspire AM/ 5th grade Aspire PM
Wednesday, November 11th    7th grade Aspire PM/ Staff meeting 7:45AM (District meeting)
Thursday, November 12th    5th grade Aspire AM/ 6th and 8th grade conferences/ Virtual materials to office by 4PM
Friday, November 13th    Material pickup/ Food drive ends

Wednesday meeting rotations
I wanted to make you all aware that there is a rotation for our Wednesday meetings.  The first Wednesday of the month will be a building meeting.  The second Wednesday of the month will be our WIN Wednesday district meeting.  The subsequent Wednesdays will be used for team and personal planning.  With that being said, please use the time next Wednesday to prepare for our upcoming family conferences.  Having materials in place to discuss with our families is really a powerful way to communicate the progress of our students.

Tweets, quotes, and blogs



"Without proper self evaluation, failure is inevitable."- John Wooden, basketball coach




If you have been here a while, you might remember...
Jenny Fischer.  She started a fundraiser to raise awareness regarding suicide.  Her mother and her grandfather were both lost to suicide.  If you'd like to participate in her fundraiser, here is a link.  Thanks for your consideration.

If you are a fan of Meijer...
and you know I am, check out this opportunity from Meijer for teachers.  It's a 15% off coupon for teachers.  All you need to do is show your school ID.  Thanks to Jim for sharing this with me and ultimately with you!

Today ends the first quarter of the year!
I find that line to be pretty amazing.  The first quarter of the year is done at the end of the day today.  Can you believe it?  Think back on the connections you've made with our kids and their families.  Think about the times you've celebrated and supported your colleagues.  I know that it hasn't been all rainbows and unicorns (and some of you know the other phrase that I add following unicorns), but I do know one thing.  There is no question in my mind that you are here for our kids every day.  When you are with the kids in class, you are spot on, doing amazing things, fostering learning, and building relationships.  I know that each of you puts all of your energy into that every day.  I know you leave school exhausted.  And I know you come back the next day because of our kids.  I am proud of you.  I am inspired by you.  I am awed by you.  You are amazing, and I thank you for all that you do for our kids every day.

Have a great weekend!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment