Friday, November 19, 2021

Our focus moving forward

As I reflect on the week, I realized that my focus was in constant movement.  It started on Monday with the power outage before some professional learning.  It then moved on to all of you at school and our BLT discussion about our schedule.  Tuesday started with our discussion about our school and district report cards before I was able to visit many of your classes.  Wednesday morning had a focus on what we can do now to make an impact on our students.  Thursday was a day for MAP testing.  As I have gotten older, I reflect more.  I have started a habit of writing a paragraph to summarize the day.  I reflect when I run.  I reflect after conversations.  I reflect after group meetings.  With all of these reflections I'm trying to find that one thing that I might be able to do better next time.  I shared that in our announcements the last couple of days.  My reflections this week take me to this one idea- what can I do better tomorrow than I did today that will have a positive impact on you and our kids.  Whatever it is, I promise that will be my focus moving forward that day.

Calendar
Tuesday, November 23rd    Half day (Morning classes)
Wednesday, November 24th-Sunday, November 28th    No School- Thanksgiving Break
Monday, November 29th    Board meeting 6PM
Tuesday, November 30th    Merton Tree Lighting 5PM
Wednesday, December 1st    Building meeting 7:45AM (Forward Focus)/ Community Open House 5:00-7:30PM
Tuesday, December 7th    Winter Concerts
Wednesday, December 8th    District meeting 7:45AM
Wednesday, December 15th    Grade level meetings 7:45AM/ PTO Culver's Night
Monday, December 20th    Board meeting 6PM

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
"You never know what you can do until you try, and very few try unless they have to."
C.S. Lewis, writer


"All shall be done, but it may be harder than you think."
C.S. Lewis, writer

(Just thought I'd throw in a random sunset picture.)


"I have not failed.  I have found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Edison

(Thanks for sharing, Dan!)

"I have dreamt in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas..."
Emily Bronte, writer, poet

December 1st building meeting
As a culminating experience from this Wednesday, we'll be meeting in the Learning Lounge (that's the upstairs lounge) to share our Forward Focus with our colleagues.  Sharing our ideas and our goals is a really great way to better understand what each of us is doing.  You don't need a formal presentation but you do need to be prepared to stand proud of your focus, whether a personal focus or the focus of a group.  Please make sure to share these with me in advance of our meeting as the deadline is 7:45AM, Wednesday, December 1st.

It's the last full week of November.  Where did the time go?  I have always found that when I'm busy doing something productive that the time goes by pretty quickly.  You have all been productive.  You have built community in your classroom.  You have built structure in your classroom.  You have been giving an incredible effort teaching and encouraging and assessing our students.  And you're doing that every day.  This weekend is a time to relax, put school aside for a good chunk of the day, put your feet up, and do something for yourself.  If that involves your family and friends, that's great.  If it doesn't, that's great, too.  Have a great weekend!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment