Friday, February 25, 2022

Expect the unexpected

I started this blog post on Monday morning as I looked over my schedule for the day and for the week.  And then we had the unexpected "ice day".  When I was younger, I went fishing with a high school friend, Erich, a lot.  When the fish weren't biting, he would always cast in a completely strange way and say "expect the unexpected."  Sometimes he would catch a fish and sometimes he wouldn't.  I look at our snow day as one of those times where Erich caught a fish.  I was able to catch up on some emails, listen to some education podcasts, and call five prospective Summer School teachers.  Yes, I know that it's February but I need to make sure that I have staff for Summer School.  As I had a chance to get into lots of classes this week, I saw you deal with the unexpected, and you did it well.  What impressed me more was that a vast majority of time I saw the expected- a lesson that you had planned out well, a small group that you had consciously put together, a one on one conversation, and so many other things.  Sure, the unexpected is something that someone would really notice, but seeing you be prepared for the expected is even better.

Calendar
Monday, February 28th    School board meeting 6PM
Tuesday, March 1st    Merton Arts Night 4:30PM
Wednesday, March 2nd    Grade level meetings 7:45AM
Thursday, March 3rd    Family conferences 4:30-8:15PM
Friday, March 4th    Half day noon release (AM classes)/ MLSS meeting 12:15-3:15
Tuesday, March 8th    Spring Band concert 6:30PM
Wednesday, March 9th    District meeting 7:45AM
Monday, March 14th    School Board meeting 6PM
Wednesday, March 16th    Content meetings 7:45AM
Saturday, March 19th-Sunday, March 27th    Spring Break

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
(from Inspiring Quotes)

"Learning to choose is hard. Learning to choose well is harder. And learning to choose well in a world of unlimited possibilities is harder still, perhaps too hard."
Barry Schwartz, The Paradox of Choice
(from George Couros' weekly email)

(from Inspiring Quotes)

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress."
Frederick Douglass. social reformer, abolitionist, orator, writer

(from Inspiring Quotes)

"Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."
Carl Bard

The 5SWs from Andrew Marotta (I think you might really benefit from this short video.)

"No matter what accomplishments you make, somebody helps you."
Althea Gibson, professional tennis player, first Black winner of a Grand Slam title

A few nuts and bolts
Here is the link to the schedule for 2022-2023 (Mary helped me figure out the freeze thing!  Thanks, Mary!)
Don't forget about our 5 minute meetings and mid-year SLO meetings.
Did you follow up with any families from last week's conferences?
Check out the dates from our BLT notes from Monday to make sure they are on your calendar.

This weekend I'll be seeing my niece Maddie play in her final game in Madison, unless they are hosting an NCAA game in March.  Jen and I have been following her UW-Madison experience since 2017.  I'll be off the grid all day on Saturday but back on again at some point on Sunday.  I hope that you have something planned for your weekend or, maybe even better, you just go with the unexpected.
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment