Friday, November 4, 2011

What took so long?

It's been quite a while since I wrote my last blog post.  It took being at the the AWSA Principals' Conference and the Midwest Google Summit to remind me of what I had been missing. I was missing the chance to reflect on what I do as a principal and what I am as a principal.  What you do and what you are can be two very different things.  I sure hope that I do what I am as a principal.  Now a bit about the conference and the summit.

At the AWSA conference I was a co-presenter with two incredible Wisconsin principals, Curt Rees and Jessica Johnson, on the benefits of twitter for administrators.  They were actually the presenters and I was more of a lurker, adding points once in a while and helping out those new to twitter.  It was a great experience and came about due to the connection I made with Curt and Jessica on twitter.  I had met Curt before the conference but Jessica and I met face to face the day before our presentation.  It was a bit scary but those who attended the session came away excited about the connections they began making on twitter during the last half our of our session.  My PLN has grown because of this great opportunity.

At the Google Summit, I had a chance to learn about google, obviously, but also to make connections with the staff who attended with me and other educators in Wisconsin and many other states.  Although some of the sessions were more "techy" than I understand, I came away with some great things to share with my staff.  More importantly, the staff has come away with great things to share with their colleagues.  That is the expectation.  In a future blog I'll let you know how that goes.  The Google Summit showed me the possibilities of all things google in our school.  I can't wait to see how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment