Thursday, February 18, 2016

Best PD ever!

This morning you will be entertained, challenged, pushed to new thinking, and learn a lot about yourself.  It will be an awesome day, and I go so far as to say that it will be your best PD ever.  I would stake my career on it.  You will be invigorated and you will be inspired.  When I first heard Dave speak, after reading his book, I realized that I had not done enough for my students as a teacher.  It has made me prepare more for the students on Wednesdays.  I've played my trumpet.  I share personal stories.  I use videos.  I use hooks whenever possible.  Remember that hook google form that I sent out?  Here is what your colleagues came up with, and if you'd like to add yours to the list, just use the form.  That was the first in a series of little hints that Dave was coming to Merton.  Be prepared to be hooked into being a pirate today.  It will change the way you teach and prepare your students to learn.

Calendar
Monday, February 22nd          No School
Wednesday, February 24th      World Read Aloud Day (dress as your favorite book character)
Thursday, February 25th         Grade level meetings
Friday, February 26th              No office day (What will you invite me in to be a part of today?)
Fill out this classroom support chart if you'd like me to visit this week.


Tweets, blogs, and quotes
"In life you must choose between getting a job done or getting credit for it."- Leo Szilard, physicist
"Nothing endures but change."- Heraclitus, philosopher
"Growth is never by mere chance; it is the result of forces working together."- James Cash Penney, entrepreneur
All they need is love (from @_AndyJacks- a great post about loving our students)
"Don't wait until conditions are perfect to begin.  Beginning makes conditions perfect."- Alan Cohen, writer and motivational speaker
"I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's."- Henry Moore, artist
"If anything is worth trying at all, it's worth trying at least 10 times."- Art Linkletter, radio and TV personality
"A total commitment is paramount to reaching the ultimate in performance."- Tom Flores, football coach
3 articles about reading (from edutopia.org)
"If you don't make things happen, then things will happen to you."- Robert Collier, writer
@mertonint on Twitter
#mertonint on Twitter
Merton Intermediate School Facebook page
Family smore for 2.19.16

(from PixTeller)

A challenge for you...
Although this post was written by a principal, the message is still an important one for all of us to reflect upon.  The post is called "5, 4, 3, 2, one-derful!" and was written by Kas Nelson (@kasnelson), a #principalsinaction all star.  I took her challenge and here is my post.  Even if you aren't a blog writer, I encourage you to take the challenge!

(from PixTeller)

I'm more than excited for today.  Not much left to say but see you soon and have a great long weekend.
Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment