Thursday, February 4, 2016

February drearies- find your passions

As I started writing this on a dreary February morning, I realized that February can be a difficult month for a lot of people, myself included.  When I get the "drearies", I start to think about those things which are my passions.  Golfing, fishing, and running come to mind.  But my greatest passion, outside of my family, is our school, the students and staff that I get to be with every day.  Even on my worst day, the days full of time away from kids, I know that as soon as that meeting is done, I can stop into a classroom and get re-energized.  Merton Intermediate School is the driving force behind me trying to do and be my best everyday.  And sometimes I might fall short, but tomorrow provides another chance.  My passions are driven by the students, you, and my PLN (face to face, Twitter, and Voxer) as you all challenge me daily to be better.  I'd love to discuss your passions with you.  We might have some in common.  Now we just need a venue.  How about finding a place following school on Friday, February 12th?

Third time is the charm?
This is the final time I'm sending this 2 question Google form.  There are currently ten of us who have shared our best hook.  Don't be the only one left out.  If you don't share a hook, you won't see the results.  Here's the form.

And while I'm at it...
Last week I sent out a Google doc with times of the day for me to come in and support within your classroom.  Sarah K. signed up and I got to stop in and confer with four students.  I must admit that I was a bit disappointed that others didn't sign up.  You don't even need to prepare anything for me to do.  I want to come in to help out, read with students, discuss a project, you name it.  Here's my attempt for next week.

World Read Aloud Day is February 24th
Last year we did "Drop Everything and Read" for 20 minutes for World Read Aloud Day.  This year I'd like to have "Dress Up as Your Favorite Character" for all students and staff.  Those that participate can read aloud like their favorite character.  Who's in?

Calendar
Monday, February 8th           7:30-8:30 meeting
                                                10:30-11:30 scheduling meeting with Swallow
                                                 5:30 game at Merton
Tuesday, February 9th           7:15-8:30  basketball practice
                                                 9:15-9:45  coaching meeting
                                                 3:15-4:00  cover class
                                                 4:30-8:00  conferences
                                                 4:15-5:15  practice in Library
Wednesday, February 10th    8:00-9:15  RtI Wednesday (Staff recognition awards at 8:00)
                                                 2:00  leave for AWSA Principals' Conference
Thursday, February 11th       All day at AWSA Principals' Conference
Friday, February 12th            2:00  return from AWSA Principals' Conference
                                                Valentine's Day spirit day (Wear red, pink, or white)
                                                Staff social after school?

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
"Your days are numbered.  Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun.  If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it."- Marcus Aurelius, emperor
Tips to use blogs and videos to connect with parents (from Math Education SmartBrief)
"Ignore failure.  Try anew until you succeed."- Tim Fargo, writer and entrepreneur
How Voxer has changed our life (from @awelcome about our #principalsinaction group)
"As you become more present in your own life, you will begin to enlighten others by your example."- Germany Kent, media personality
Give the kid a break (from @joesanfelippofc)
"The thing that makes you say, 'I want to do something'- that is the beginning of talent."- Stella Adler, actress and teacher
@mertonint on Twitter
#mertonint on Twitter
Merton Intermediate School Facebook page
Family smore for 2.5.16.

(from @educationinKS)

As I sit in my office during conferences, I have to reflect on one of the conferences I attended.  Believe it or not, the two pictures above are directly related to the conference.  You know I love it when we have celebratory conferences and not just "kick in the rear" conferences.  Tonight was an epic example.  Mom was crying.  Dad was speechless.  The student couldn't stop smiling.  It was awesome, and the top picture exemplifies that.  The student was awesome, but the awesomeness extended to the teachers who were in the conference.  The belief that the student could get it together was evident in everything that was said.  The turn around in this student was awesome.  That's what the second picture exemplifies.  If we tell a student they can do better and raise the bar, they will reach for it.  They might not get over it, but they'll probably knock it down.
And now back to the first picture.  Who's awesome?  You're awesome!
Have a great weekend!
Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment