Friday, May 27, 2016

Memorial Day respect

I often think back to when I was in high school and the decisions I made for college and beyond.  Never did I even think once about joining the military and I regret that.  I think that I could have benefited from the structure for lots of aspects of my life.  But there are two people who did take the path of military life and they have had a significant impact on my life so I'd like to give them the shout out they deserve.
Howie Huerta-  United States Air Force graduate, retired
Howie is my best friend from high school.  He is one of those guys who can start up a conversation right where you left off, even if it's a month or two later.  While we were growing up, many who didn't know us, and some who did, thought that we were brothers.  I remember when he left for the Air Force Academy, I was invited by his family to see him off at the airport.  He served in the Air Force for 12 years, retired from active duty but stayed on standby reserves until 2014 , and now works in the private sector.  His military training prepared him for the leadership role he has in his current job (There's an inside joke that goes along with this "current job" comment, but that's between friends.).  I admire Howie for his service to our country, for his never ending friendship and support, and for the honor and privilege of calling him my friend.
Joseph Posick-  United States Navy, retired
Joseph is my dad.  Probably enough said, but the impact he has had on my life is undeniable.  He is the ultimate family man, pridefully speaking of his family whenever he has the chance.  He and my mom have been married for 55 years, have 3 kids and 5 grandkids, and are at family and kid activities without reservation.  Aside from family, my dad was the best at his job every day.  I can only hope to have and show the same effort he did while at work for his job or his church.  I know he is the reason that I was the president of our old church and am currently a principal.  He taught me the importance of treating everyone fairly while holding them accountable.  My dad served in the United States Navy during the Korean War.  I remember seeing slides shown in a carousel (remember those?) of his travels throughout the world.  My dad turns 80 September 25th and I just found out that he and I will be on an Honor Flight September 24th!  It will be my greatest honor to be able to share that experience with him.
Please find some time this weekend to honor those you know who have served our country.
(www.americanflags.com)

Calendar
Monday, May 30           Memorial Day- No School
Tuesday, May 31           Garden work after school- rototiller and garden preparation
Wednesday, June 1       A-team meeting 1:30-3:30
                                        Garden work after school- rototiller and garden preparation
Thursday, June 2          PTO meeting  1:00-2:30
                                        Garden work after school- planting time!
Friday, June 3               Celebration Day!

Tweets, blogs, and quotes
"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow."- Ronald Osborn, teacher and writer
"Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."- Mark Twain, writer and humorist
"One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself."- Shannon Alder, writer
(from PixTeller)
"You are not defeated when you lose.  You are defeated when you quit."- Paulo Coelho, writer
Who Wants a Job (from @awelcome and @KarlyMoura about teaching job skills to students NOW!)
"Life is bristling with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to cultivate one's garden."- Voltaire, writer and philosopher
Poking Holes in Your Pockets of Innovation (from @ajjuliani)
"The most splendid achievement of all is the constant striving to surpass yourself and to be worthy of your own approval."- Denis Waitley, writer and motivational speaker
5 Rules We Impose on Students that Would Make Adults Revolt (from @pernilleripp)
"If you're not reaching back to help anyone, then you're not building a legacy."- Germany Kent, media personality.
"There are no secrets to success.  It is the result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure."- Colin Powell, statesman
"Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted."- David Bly, politician
"Do not wait; the time will never be just right."- Napolean Hill, writer
@mertonint on Twitter
#mertonint on Twitter
Merton Intermediate School Facebook page
Family smore for 5.26.16

In case you wanted some evidence of our Father/daughter dance from last weekend...



Have a great Memorial Day weekend!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell, principal

No comments:

Post a Comment