Friday, June 17, 2016

Last thoughts for June

I hope that you are all enjoying this first week of summer break.  I've had time to catch up on paperwork, meet with staff and families, and read a book (I read "Hacking Leadership" by Joe Sanfelippo and Tony Sinanis).  More importantly I was able to spend lots of time with Jen and Lauren, highlighted by Lauren getting her license yesterday!  I'm proud and thankful, as my taxi driver duties are over, at least for the time being.  I've just got a few things for you.

  • Please remember to think about your reflections and share them with me.  Here's what I wrote last week.
    • I always like to reflect on the day but now I'm reflecting on the year.  Here is a blog from edutopia that might provide some ideas of how you can reflect.  And here is a blog from my friend, Geniene (the one from 10000 days of running), that might help you, too.  As I look back at our school year, some thoughts come to mind.
    • I had the privilege of visiting your classrooms every day.  The one thing I need to do better is providing individual feedback more often.  The miniobservations are alright, but I plan on dropping you a voxer message from time to time.  If you're not on voxer, that's alright.  I'll just email you a link so you can hear what I'm saying about you.I had the privilege of connecting with students every day.  The one thing I need to do better is contacting families when I see the good that students are doing, not just when I have to call because of a poor decision.
    • I had the privilege of great conversations with staff every day.  The one thing I need to do better is finding the time to not just talk about school.  I need to get to know each of you better so that I really can figure out what makes you such great educators.
    • What three thoughts come to mind for you when you reflect on the year?  I'd love to hear about them.
  • We have a number of great candidates for our 7th/8th math position.  First round interviews will be on Monday, June 27th starting at noon if any of you are interested in joining us.  Colleen and I will be taking care of second round interviews on Thursday, June 30th.
  • Take time for yourself this summer.  I'm going to reconnect with Jen and Lauren starting tomorrow as we travel for a few days.  And if you read the first paragraph, we have three drivers now!
  • Take a chance and try something new this summer.  I'm thinking about writing a book.  Anyone want to join me?  I have no idea what I'll be writing about, but it will probably have something to do about education.


And here's a fun video from Lex Prin about differentiation that I thought you might like.


Thanks for taking the time to read this over.  I'm taking some time off and will be back online Monday, July 27th.  Remember, in the words of John Gunnell...
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.
Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment