Friday, June 10, 2016

Reflecting on the year

I always like to reflect on the day but now I'm reflecting on the year.  Here is a blog from edutopia that might provide some ideas of how you can reflect.  And here is a blog from my friend, Geniene (the one from 10000 days of running), that might help you, too.  As I look back at our school year, some thoughts come to mind.

  • I had the privilege of visiting your classrooms every day.  The one thing I need to do better is providing individual feedback more often.  The miniobservations are alright, but I plan on dropping you a voxer message from time to time.  If you're not on voxer, that's alright.  I'll just email you a link so you can hear what I'm saying about you.
  • I had the privilege of connecting with students every day.  The one thing I need to do better is contacting families when I see the good that students are doing, not just when I have to call because of a poor decision.
  • I had the privilege of great conversations with staff every day.  The one thing I need to do better is finding the time to not just talk about school.  I need to get to know each of you better so that I really can figure out what makes you such great educators.
What three thoughts come to mind for you when you reflect on the year?  I'd love to hear about them.

Calendar
Friday, June 10th         Half day with ice cream and yearbooks.  Here's the schedule!
                                       Don't forget to be outside at noon to wave good bye to the kids!
                                       If all of your work is done, you may leave at 1:00 today.
I'm in all next week with my final day on Friday, June 17th.

Tweets, blogs, and quotes
"The successful warrior is the average man, with laserlike focus."- Bruce Lee, martial artist, actor and filmmaker
"I can't take back the past, but I can fight for the future."- Shannon Thompson, writer
(from Pinterest)
"Failure makes success so much sweeter, and allow you to thumb your nose at the crowds."- Wilbur Smith, writer
"If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary."- Jim Rohn, entrepreneur and motivational speaker
(from Pinterest)
"The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none."- Thomas Carlyle, historian and philosopher
"Growth demands a temporary surrender of security."- Gail Sheehy, writer
(from PixTeller)
"I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship."- Louisa May Alcott, writer
"What are the aims which are at the same time duties?  They are the perfecting of ourselves, the happiness of others."- Immanuel Kant, philosopher
"People seldom improve when they have no other model but themselves to copy."- Oliver Goldsmith, writer
@mertonint on Twitter
#mertonint on Twitter
Merton Intermediate School Facebook page
Family smore for 6.10.16

I cannot believe that the school year is over.  It seems like there was so much I wanted to do that I either didn't do or ran out of time to do.  And guess what?  We still had a good year.  Thanks for all that you do, and let's make today the best Friday of the week!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell, Baraboo

No comments:

Post a Comment