Friday, June 2, 2017

Celebrations

Do me a favor.  Think about one thing that you can celebrate from school this year.  What would it be?  I've been thinking about this for quite some time.  And I  have to be honest- I'm having a difficult time thinking of just one that really stands out.  The goal chain after the assembly, the 5th grade camping trip, the 6th graders and their portfolios, especially when a student invites me in to be a part of it, the 7th graders sharing their memoirs, the 8th graders launching hot air balloons, the color run and getting slimed.  I've met with some of you to discuss your SLO and PPG, but not all of you.  When we do meet, make sure that you share something you'd like to celebrate about the school year.  You have all done so many things with and for our kids, I bet the tough part will be narrowing it down to just one.

Great things I saw this week...
  • Students finishing up MAP testing
  • Geometry students working together to learn the unit circle (I certainly wasn't helpful.)
  • All of you keeping the learning the focus of our days
  • Skits in Spanish with the kids only speaking Spanish
  • 7th graders building kites in Math
  • Robots in 5th grade
  • Mentor training for next year's 5th graders
  • Washington, DC boot camp for kids and parents (Thanks, Becky and Dave!)
  • Michael putting on "The Voice" competition with the help of some staff judges
  • Math Cafe in 5th grade
  • Student portfolio presentations in 6th grade
  • Documentaries in Language Arts
  • Skits, all done in Spanish, in Spanish class
Tweets, quotes, and blogs
They Taught Me (from Pernille Ripp)
"Because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."- Edward Everett Hale, writer and minister
And Yet We Grow (from Pernille Ripp)
"The real fountain of youth is hidden in the imagination you draw upon to face everyday challenges."- Sophia Loren, actress

Who Wants to Change? (from George Couros)
"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!"- Olin Miller, humorist

"When you believe, really believe, something can be done, your mind goes to work for you and helps you find the ways to do it."- David Schwartz, writer and professor
5 Things I Learned About Teaching from Being a Student (from AJ Juliani)
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."- Walter Elliott, clergyman

The image above reminded me that my #oneword for the year was "priorities".  How did you do with your #oneword?
@mertonint on Twitter
#mertonint on Twitter
Merton Intermediate School on Facebook
Merton Intermediate School on Instagram
Family smore for 6.2.17

Meemic Scholastic Book Grant
If you're interested in a chance for more books for your classroom, here's a link to a grant from Meemic.

I couldn't believe it when I turned the calendars (yes, I have more than one) in my office to June yesterday.  Where did the year go?  I think about the connections we've made with one another and with our students.  I think about our learning and the learning of our students.  And I start thinking about next year and the steps we can take to make next year better for our kids and each other.  But we have plenty of time to think about that.  Let's concentrate on Celebration Day and have fun with the kids today.
Be the one!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell


No comments:

Post a Comment