Friday, July 21, 2017

Getting prepared?

Good Friday morning, Merton family!  I hope that you summer is going really well.  In one month we'll be together again as the Summer Academy gets under way.  I can't wait to catch up with all of you and I have a few new ideas of how we can do that, but that's for another post.  Here is a graphic that will let you know how I feel.

The custodial staff and other crews have been hard at work in our school and things are coming together well.  New ceilings are in, painting is underway, the hallways and classrooms are brighter with new lights (It seems like a sunrise in my office!), and the gaga pits are complete.  I'm in most mornings if you happen to stop by.  It's pretty quiet so I could use some conversations and a walk through the building.

Our community garden is looking awesome, too!  The rain and the volunteers (NJHS as well as Lindsay, Patrick, Dave, and Michael) have allowed all of our vegetable and watermelon plants to thrive.  When you stop up at school, take a little walk to see how the garden's doing.  I think we'll have a bumper crop of tomatoes after having about 3 last year.
For other pictures of all that's going on around the school, check out the #mertonint hashtag.

Here are a few quotes and blogs and ideas I thought I'd share.

12 Conversation Starters on What Parents Want You (Teachers) to Know (from Joe Mazza)
Some of the Worst Advice You Will Ever Get as an Educator (from George Couros)
Welcome Back Letters- With a Twist (Pinterest)

I'll be sending out this smore to families on August 1st.  Please let me know if you'd like me to add anything, delete anything, or if you have a photo you'd like me to use instead of the one I took from our directory.

Finally, I have lots of ideas from the Principals Conference I attended in July.  Gerry Brooks, "perncipal" from Kentucky, sums up all of the excellent sessions I attended.  You can see them all here.

I hope that you giggled a little bit after seeing the video.
See you all soon!
Be the one!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

2 comments:

  1. You always entertain me and give me so much to think about, and get me to ask questions, just like a good stroyteller would. Terrific post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. My blog really helps me reflect on lots of things. And it holds me accountable, too.

    ReplyDelete