Friday, September 29, 2017

The right thing to do

This quote, found in a post from AJ Juliani, is all we need to think about this weekend.
One veteran teacher who has led the move to personalized learning and authentic assessment said to me, "I keep thinking things might get easier. But, they never do. I guess I'm hoping for the wrong thing. Instead, things are getting better for our kids. They are having new experiences we could never have offered 5, 10, 15 years ago. It's not easy for us, but it's the right thing to do."
Here's the rest of his post, with a pretty awesome video, too.
What It's Like to Teach and Lead in 2017 (Hint: It's Exhausting)

Great things I saw this week...
Lots of reading
Great discussions among small groups of students in lots of content areas
Students being challenged in Math and Science with problem solving and vocabulary
Our grade level meetings have been a great combination of talking kids, discussing data, and laughing
MAP testing environments that allowed kids a greater opportunity for success
Gaga ball games have been going well (stop on out and watch if you are able)

Calendar
Monday, October 2nd
I'm in Minneapolis recovering from the Twin Cities Marathon
Tuesday, October 3rd
8:00  Google Expedition training for all teaching staff
8:45  Boosterthon kick off assembly (Join me in the gym as soon as you are able!)
Adjusted schedule
4:15  Homework Club
Wednesday, October 4th
Boosterthon videos start today following the announcements (See link in team meeting agenda)
5th and 6th grade team meetings (Thanks for changing the meeting day!)
Thursday, October 5th
I'm in Madison for an AWSA meeting all morning
7th/8th grade team meeting
4:15  Homework Club
Friday, October 6th
NO OFFICE DAY!

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
11 Reasons Why Teaching Middle School is the Best Job Ever (from WeAreTeachers)

(from Pinterest)

Incremental Innovations #IMMOOC (from George Couros)

(from George Couros)

What to do when a student constantly refuses to work (from thecornerstoneforteachers.com)
#mertonint on Twitter
#MertonProud on Twitter
Merton Intermediate Facebook page
Merton Intermediate Instagram page
Family smore for 9.29.17


I know that Thursday is my meeting day, but the meetings never seemed to end yesterday.  I'll be in classrooms all day today, except during lunch and recess.  Invite me in if you have something new that you're going to try or if you just want me to visit to be part of an activity.  I look forward to having an awesome NO OFFICE DAY today.
Be the one!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment