Tuesday, April 9, 2019

One day at a time

As I returned from Spring Break, I realized that I have six calendars in my office- three on my desk and two on my walls.  Sounds like a lot, doesn't it?  The two on my walls are from the USGA (golf) and the Badgerland Striders (running club).  One of my desk calendars is where I record all of my school meetings (I delete all items from my Google calendars as a habit.  I have no idea why, but that's what I do.)  I have the "sign up" calendar on my office door.  The other two desk calendars have quotes or thoughts for the day.  These two calendars made me think about the last couple of months of school.  The ones that I focus on the most are the two calendars on my desk that have quotes.  It's not so much for the quotes, though.  It's because I need to flip the calendars to go to the next day.

The simple task of flipping the calendars does two things for me.  The first is that I get to read two new quotes that sometimes put a focus on my day.  The second is that I put yesterday behind me and can look forward to a new day.  Unless you are Bill Murray in Groundhog Day...


you can't go back and replay a day.  It's not worth the time or the energy.  Yesterday already was and today is what you have.  Put yesterday behind you and move forward with today.  You can learn what to do and what not to do from yesterday, but it cannot be repeated.  Put your focus on today and make it be the best day it can be.  And when you get to school tomorrow, flip the calendar or put an "X" through yesterday.  Your students and colleagues will thank you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment