Friday, April 12, 2019

Thanks, George

George Couros (@gcouros on the Twitters) always seems to know what I'm thinking about.  Last week he posted this blog.  Please take a moment to read it.

The Importance of Value and Purpose

Those of you who regularly read this blog that I send to staff every Friday might notice that I share at least one blog post from George.  He speaks to me when he writes.  Sometimes it's as if he is reading my mind and is writing to answer my questions or push me to try something new.  Sometimes he is writing exactly what I'm thinking.  Most of the time, though, he is writing something that will give our staff an idea that will reach one more kid or connect to one more colleague.
Thanks, George.  Reading what you write makes me a better educator.

Great things I saw this week...
59 out of 60 students passed the Spanish placement test.  Way to go kids, and way to go Becky!
Ozobots in Science.
Read alouds in Language Arts.
Reading outside on Monday.
A great intruder drill.  Practice makes perfect.  We are ready if needed!
Element reports in Science.
Students talking through Algebra problems in Math.
Ashley visiting 6th grade to talk to all students about women in STEM.
2 6th grade boys discussing their homework problems, and actually teaching one another.
All the cool ACP things we're doing as a district.
Students discussing the meaning of words using context clues.
Mary Poppins Jr, and the excitement of the cast and crew.
Our PTO, and their constant support.  Have you thought about being a server at Culver's next Wednesday?  Even stopping by for a half hour is exciting for the kids.
The new 7th and 8th grade electives have been very well received by our kids.  Thanks to Becky, Carey, Brian F., Dave, and Michelle for your extra efforts.

Calendar
Intermediate School Special Events
Forward Exam Schedule

Friday, April 12th
Mary Poppins Jr  7PM

Saturday, April 13th
Mary Poppins Jr  2PM and 7PM

Tuesday, April 16th
Choir trip

Wednesday, April 17th
Culver's Night 4-8PM

Thursday, April 18th
Family Forum on Vaping 6:30PM

Friday, April 19th-Monday, April 22nd
No School

Tuesday, April 23rd
School board/Community Forum 7PM

Thursday, April 25th
College Day for 8th graders

Friday, April 26th
Career Day in the morning
Jay leaves at 10:00 of OKC Marathon

Monday, April 29th
BLT meeting  4:15PM
School board meeting 7PM

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
(from Inspiration for Educators)

Ideas are like pizza dough, made to be tossed around.
Anna Quindlen,
writer 




You never learn it all. ... I don't care if you're the greatest, there's always something to learn.
Otis Rush,
blues guitarist

One day at a time (from my blog)

(Jen sent this to me from the Mayo Clinic)

The Patience and Persistence Needed for Our Students (from George Couros)



To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time.
Leonard Bernstein,
composer

Family smore from 4.12.19

Thanks for taking the time to at least skim this every week.  I hope that you find value in at least one of the things I share here every week.  Today will be a "No Office Day" for me so don't be surprised if I visit your classroom more than once.
See you all soon!
Be the spark!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment