Friday, May 10, 2019

Wednesdays

I remember quite a few years ago when we started our RtI Wednesdays.  Initially it was something I would worry about all night, getting very little sleep and running on empty for the day.  But now things have changed.  I sleep pretty well the night before, but the nervousness creeps in about 8:30.  Will the message resonate with the kids?  Will the videos work?  Will I have to redirect any students?  Ultimately, though, one thing goes through my head- Will the kids be better people, or at least think about being better people, because of what I shared?  I spend quite a bit of time on these, especially when I search for videos that will hopefully have a lasting impact.  I share personal stories because I think it will help me better connect with the kids.  I show my emotions, the whole gamut (Yes, I had to look up how to spell this correctly), and that's alright.  The kids, and you, need to see me as a person, not just as a principal.  I encourage you to do the same as their teacher.

Great things I saw this week...
The wonderful things our PTO did for us all week!
Coding and programming Ozobots and Dashes in Science.
Kids building kites in the Flight elective.
Monkey bread and smoothies in Foods.
The effort our students were giving with their writing in LA.
Kahoots in Spanish and in Math.
Making a DNA necklace.
Indoor wiffle ball practices and games.
The bands and the choirs.  They are sounding incredible!
Making motors in Science.
Learning about soldiers from the Civil War.
The art display in the commons.
The behavior of our kids during the assembly.
Kids and Michael getting the commons ready for Grandparents Day.

Calendar
Intermediate School Special Events

Monday, May 13th-Friday, May 17th
MAP testing week

Tuesday, May 14th
Spring concerts

Wednesday, May 15th
Culver's Night

Monday, May 20th-Friday, May 24th
MAP testing makeup week

Monday, May 20th
BLT meeting  4:15

Monday, May 27th
Memorial Day- No School

Friday, May 31st
Celebration Day

Wednesday, June 5th
8th grade Day Away
Culver's Night
8th grade dance

Thursday, June 6th
8th grade graduation  7PM

Friday, June 7th
Last day of school- Half day

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
The Next Big Thing (from George Couros)

(Jen sent this to me. I think it should say Intermediate Schools.)

Anyone can become an inventor as long as they keep an open and inquiring mind and never overlook the possible significance of an accident or apparent failure.
Patsy O'Connell Sherman,
inventor of Scotchgard stain repellent

(from Holly Clark, and made me think of each of you!)

Every once in a while, a new technology, an old problem, and a big idea turn into an innovation.
Dean Kamen,
engineer, businessman and inventor of the Segway vehicle


If your room is warm, feel free to open your windows to let some fresh air in.  Please don't open them all the way, just for security purposes.  If you open a window, please make sure that you close the window before you leave for the evening.  Thank you!

Take a moment and look this over...
(from Matt Miller of "Ditch That Textbook")
As you looked this graphic over, how many times did you see yourself?  I only saw myself once, but I realized that there were other arms of this graphic that could be added.  Here are some examples.  The student who joined the armed services.  The student who was an Olympic champion.  The student who became a parent, and then moved so that their children would come to Merton.  The student who received a full academic scholarship and is now a successful engineer.  The list goes on and on.  The students you have today in class will all become something truly incredible, and it will be because of you and what you do every day.  Never forget your impact, and make sure to bring it everyday.  You are truly amazing and I'm honored to work with each of you every day.
Be the spark!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell


No comments:

Post a Comment