Friday, August 16, 2019

Back together again

It won't be long, and we'll be back together again, and I'm excited.  I've spent all summer reflecting on last school year and remembering how awesome you were with our kids and each other.  I've also thought about the changes I'll be making for this year to better support you.  I'll still be visiting classes, but my plan is to do one of two things when I'm in your room- really watch what is going on in your room and provide feedback to you or support a student in your room.  I'm looking forward to chatting with you about this before the kids start as well as during the school year.  This plan came about on my final day at Teachers College during the inclusion class I was in.  My writing partner, Anick Sirard (@ASirard), a literacy coach from Canada, provided suggestions and pushed me to think about ways I could be better for the teachers and students with whom I work.  If you notice I'm not providing you feedback regularly or supporting students in your room, please let me know right away.  I'll appreciate it more than you can know.

Calendar
Check out the email that Mary sent on July 9th about the Intermediate Calendar that's now on Google!  She also made this Screencastify as a tutorial for adding events.  Thanks, Mary!

Monday, August 12th-Friday, August 16th
Summer School

Tuesday, August 13th
A-team meeting  8:45

Monday, August 19th
Summer Academy (flex day)

Tuesday, August 20th-Thursday, August 22nd
Summer Academy (writing)

Thursday, August 22nd
Intermediate salad lunch at 12:00
*We will have lunch in the Intermediate Staff Lounge.  Please connect with your teammates to determine what each person is bringing.

Monday, August 26th
Summer Academy (flex day)

Tuesday, August 27th
Summer Academy (SEL)

Wednesday, August 28th
Open House 5-7PM

Monday, September 2nd
Labor Day

Tuesday, September 3rd
1st day of school

Reminders and "new news"
*I would like to continue our Thursday grade level meetings.  Due to A-team meetings being on Thursdays, I would propose Wednesdays for the specials meetings.  As a team, if you'd like to change the proposed meeting dates, just let me know.
*If you need a green card for your classroom, please let me know.
*I sent an email to those of you who are on cycle for Educator Effectiveness.
*WIN Wednesday assemblies will be the second Wednesday of the month.  These are subject to change based upon discussions with the BLT and other circumstances.
*Don't forget about PTO grants and Culvers' Nights
*Next Monday, I will be sending out a link for a flipgrid.  Just like last year, all of us will do a 15-30 second introduction of ourselves to our families and community.  This will be added to next week's family smore and posted on our website.  Make sure to think about what you want to say, and let your personality shine through!

Tweets, quotes, and blogs

Worried About That Student on Your Class List? (Just remember these 5 things) (from Jon Harper)


Genius consists of equal parts of natural aptitude and hard work.
Andre Maurois,
writer

On Posters and Welcome Displays (from Pernille Ripp)



If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes.
Andrew Carnegie,
industrialist, business magnate, philanthropist

(Yes, Jen sent me this one.)

Tell yourself a better story this school year (from Angela Watson)

Being a successful person is not necessarily defined by what you have achieved, but by what you have overcome.
Fannie Flagg,
writer

(from Educational Research Center)

8 Back to School Emotions All Teachers Will Recognize (from WeAreTeachers)

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
Walter Bagehot,
journalist, businessman

#mertonint on Twitter

Free Calm app
The quote on the webpage for the Calm app says it all.
"If every 8 year old is taught meditation, we will eliminate violence from the world within one generation."- Dalai Lama
The app normally costs about $60, but if this is something you would like for your class, or yourself, complete the form in this link to get the app for free.  We might even try it out during our SEL training on August 27th.  If you try it out, let me know what you think.  Yes, I've checked it out every morning, even if only for about 30 seconds, but it's a start.

June 7th- that was the last time that we were all together.  This message may seem a bit redundant from the opening lines, but I started writing this on Monday so I've thought even more about coming together again as a school.  Make sure to arrive a little early on Tuesday so that you aren't rushing in without the chance of connecting with those you may not have seen since June 7th.  We'll have some social time at lunch and we'll get to work together every day, too.  The relationships we have with one another are as important, if not more important, than the relationships that we have with the kids.  Let's continue to connect with one another, support one another, and celebrate one another all year long.  And we should do the same with our kids.  See you all next week.
#JustInspire
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment