Friday, August 9, 2019

Moving toward exceptional

Every week I read a number of blog posts and emails from members of my PLN.  My five favorites, in alphabetical order, are from Danny "Sunshine" Bauer, Dave Burgess, George Couros, Jon Harper, and Pernille Ripp.  These people are the ones that cause me to reflect, to try to be better today than I was yesterday, and to try new things.  This quote came from what I read from Danny on Sunday.


Doesn't this make you reflect a bit on what you will do today? Tomorrow? This school year?  It certainly has me reflecting and thinking about more ways to support you and our kids this year, how I can spend more quality time with my family not thinking about school, and how I can be better with my health.  If you have ideas for ways that I can support you and our kids, just let me know.  You do so many exceptional things, and so do our kids.  And one other thought that sticks with me from my learning this summer is this- What you think is normal can be innovative for someone else.  Share your normal as it may really make a difference to someone else.

Calendar
Check out the email that Mary sent on July 9th about the Intermediate Calendar that's now on Google!  She also made this Screencastify as a tutorial for adding events.  Thanks, Mary!

Monday, August 12th-Friday, August 16th
Summer School

Tuesday, August 13th
A-team meeting  8:45

Monday, August 19th
Summer Academy (flex day)

Tuesday, August 20th-Thursday, August 22nd
Summer Academy (writing)

Monday, August 26th
Summer Academy (flex day)

Tuesday, August 27th
Summer Academy (SEL)

Wednesday, August 28th
Open House 5-7PM

Monday, September 2nd
Labor Day

Tuesday, September 3rd
1st day of school

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
Why Teachers Should Write (from Education Week)


Don't Shoulda on Me from Allyson Apsey

Don't ever forget that you're a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day. Civility, respect, kindness, character.
Aaron Sorkin,
screenwriter, director, producer, playwright


(Jen shared this with me and thought "I" should be changed to "we".)

Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power.
Clint Eastwood,
actor, filmmaker

Three Ways Teachers Can Recapture a Few Slices of Time (from Jon Harper)


Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.
Lucy Maud Montgomery,
writer

(Jen shared this with me)

Relationships Matter More Than Rules (from Edutopia)



The wise man doesn't give the right answers, he poses the right questions.
Claude Levi-Strauss,
social anthropologist

Many of you may notice that since I've been using this blog as our nuts and bolts, there is a common message at the end right before my name.  Last year it was "Be the spark".  The year before it was "Be the one".  This year it will be "#JustInspire".  Notice the hashtag?  I got that from Mike. And if you remember last year, we all got t-shirts from Boosterthon about being a spark.  There are no t-shirts this year, but a chalk writing (see below) on the sidewalk in New York City this week made me realize that #JustInspire is meant to be our new focus for this school year. (More to come about my summer of learning in a future blog.)
#JustInspire
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment