Friday, November 15, 2019

November- a month of gratitude

November, which apparently this year is the first month of Winter, is also the month of Thanksgiving.  I am so thankful for so many things- my health, my family, all of you, our school community, my friends- but I don't often show it.  I need to be better at that this month, and I will be better at that this month.  I encourage you to take some time to notice the things for which you are grateful.  Focus on those positives as we move through November.  It's the perfect time to be thankful.

Great things I saw this week...
Dave blowing up and burning stuff in Science
Some awesome girls basketball action
6th grade Thankful Thursday
The kids were pretty awesome during the assembly
Listening to you laugh and relax on Wednesday morning
Our school report is pretty amazing!
The 7th and 8th graders taking Aspire testing seriously
Kid conversations during our grade level meetings
#CardiganDay on Wednesday
Kids blogging and commenting on the blogs of their classmates

Name it.  Claim it.  Explain it.

Calendar
Please continue to review the Intermediate Special Events Calendar at our weekly grade level and specials meetings, too.

Friday, November 15th
Food drive ends

Monday, November 18th
Lunch provided by the district due to our excellent report card!
BLT meeting at 4:15PM
School board meeting 7PM (Anyone want to do the Student Showcase?)

Tuesday, November 19th
Jay at Living as a Leader all morning

Wednesday, November 20th
SEL meeting all day
Culver's Night 4-8PM

Thursday, November 21st
Seussical Jr. (School performance at 10:30/ Evening performance at 7PM)

Friday, November 22nd
Seussical Jr. 7PM

Saturday, November 23rd
Seussical Jr. 2PM and 7PM

Tuesday, November 26th
Half day- all school attending Mr. Roger's Neighborhood (No letter day)

Wednesday, November 27th- Sunday, December 1st
Thanksgiving Break

Tuesday, December 3rd
Village of Merton Tree Lighting

Thursday, December 5th
7th grade field trip

Monday, December 9th- Saturday, December 13th
8th grade girls basketball tournament at Merton

Monday, December 9th- Wednesday, December 11th
Jay at SLATE conference

Tuesday, December 10th
Band/Choir concerts

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
A Moment of Gratitude (from George Couros)



There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
Beverly Sills,
operatic soprano



Why Teachers Are So Excited About the Power of Sketchnoting (from Katrina Schwartz)

A perfect life is a contradiction in terms.
Swami Vivekananda,
Hindu monk, teacher of philosophy


(from Jen- she gets my humor)

The Feedback of Failure (from George Couros)

The Simple Secret to Happiness (from Ryan Estis)


Spoiler alert! This is a tear jerker!
I realized that when I saw this video, a video about laundry detergent, that I needed to share it with you.  I'll let you figure out my why after you've seen the video.  If nothing else, it has made me rethink many of my interactions with students, staff, families, as well as my own family and friends.  Enjoy!
The Good Experiment

Socks
I know what you're thinking.  Jay's lost it.  The last part of our nuts and bolts is about socks?  Take a moment to read this blog by Dave Burgess, Putting on Socks.  I can guarantee you that I'll be sharing this with our kids as we get ready for the Forward Exam.  It's all about socks.

Have a great weekend!  I hope that you get a chance to relax and refresh for the last full school week of November.
#JustInspire
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of yourself.  Take care of each other.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment