Friday, February 14, 2020

Conversations

Although this week was short for me (I was only in school on Monday and half the day on Wednesday), there were lots of great conversations, some at school and some not.  What I've learned from this last week is probably a separate blog post, but here are the highlights.
Thanks to one of you for helping me realize that a face to face conversation where everyone involved can honestly share their feelings so that our relationship can be better is vital for both of us.
Thanks to Jimmy Casas and Joe Sanfelippo for always being willing to talk and for making me reflect on what I can do to be better for our kids, you, and our school.
Thanks to all of the educators that I connected with at restorative practices training and the AWSA and NAREN conference.  You helped me reflect on what we do in Merton, but more importantly what I do in Merton to be better.
Thanks to Jen for always being there even when I don't seem to be there (you all know what I mean).
I'm looking forward to our conversations this afternoon and in the days to come.

Great things I saw this week...
Just being with you and the kids on Monday and Wednesday.  I love going to school because of you!
Kids reading.
The band and choir getting ready for their March concerts.
You weren't there, but know that I spoke about you, in a good way, in every conversation I had with the educators I connected with this week.  I am proud to go to school with each of you.
*This list will be much longer next week!

Claim it.  Name it.  Explain it.
Thanks to Janine for playing along last week.  If you missed her explanation, make sure to check her email.  Hosting students who want to become educators is the best way to build our profession.

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
Now is the accepted time, not tomorrow, not some more convenient season. It is today that our best work can be done.
W.E.B. Du Bois,
sociologist, historian, civil rights activist, writer, editor

The In-Between (by Jon Harper)

I dwell in possibility.
Emily Dickinson,
poet

When you know your why your what can have more impact.- from Jimmy Casas, the author of Culturize, at the principals' conference this week.  The video below explains what he means.  Take a few minutes to be inspired!

I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself.
Mikhail Baryshnikov,
dancer, choreographer, actor


I had to end with this...
... (parent on Facebook) recommends Merton Intermediate School.
1 hr
Simply the best educators that care and inspire the kids to whatever degree/ability they’re at. An atmosphere of inclusion, perseverance, giving, Sharing, involvement and more. This started in 4K at the Primary school and has made its way all the way to grade 8. Couldn’t be more satisfied and proud we moved to Merton with the great schools in mind. Has not disappointed ever even with my high standards.

This is all because of you.  Thank you!
#JustInspire
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment