Friday, February 7, 2020

February is just a month

I've read a lot the last few days about the month of February.  Two of my friends call it the armpit of the school year.  Great visual, huh?  I find February to be an incredible month full of four weeks of learning, connecting, and building relationships.  And this year we have an extra day of learning, February 29th! (Yes, I know it's a Saturday, but there are some amazing Twitter chats on Saturday mornings.)  Our attitude impacts our altitude.  Find ways to keep up the energy.  Here are some suggestions-
Pick a day each week to take nothing school related home.  Guess what?  It will still be there tomorrow.
Go for a run, a walk, a bike ride, or enjoy a weight room session.  Whatever it is, be active for a little while each day.
Have date night each week.
Turn off your technology at 9:00.  (It works for me!)
Read a book that's not school related.
Binge watch something, anything, that is mindless.
Wear jeans to school every Friday this month.
Visit your favorite restaurant, and not just on the weekend.
I'm sure you have some great ideas of your own, so share them!

Great things I saw this week...
Annotating reading in Science.
T-shirt weather for recess (at least on Monday)
Lots of new activities in PE (table ball, team handball, spike ball)
Research in Social Studies (Revolutionary War and North America to just name two.)
Book club discussions in LA.
STEM Club after school run by former Merton students.
Laughing in grade level meetings.
An email from a guest teacher, even before they taught here. (Ask Heidi)
Students asking each other for help on Math, and not just for the answers.
Listening to Touching Spirit Bear read aloud. (Ask Becky P.)
Students sharing projects with their classmates.
Comments from the architects that toured our school about how great the school looks (Thanks to all of you, but especially our custodial staff) and how much learning they saw happening!
The Great Chocolate Milk debate with our 5th graders.  (Great evidence on both sides, but chocolate milk will remain in our cafeteria for one more year, at least!)

Name it.  Claim it.  Explain it.
Thanks to Becky Oppermann for playing along last week.

Calendar
Please continue to review the Intermediate Special Events Calendar at our weekly grade level and specials meetings, too.  I need your help with lunch and recess on the highlighted dates.  GOOSE passes for all who help out! 

Friday, February 7th
Jeans Day!

Tuesday, February 11th
Restorative Practices training (Holly has volunteered to take 5/6 recess.  Thank you!)

Wednesday, February 12th
WIN Wednesday
Yearbook Activity pictures taken
Restorative Practices training (I need at least one volunteer for 5/6 recess.)
AWSA conference

Thursday, February 13th
AWSA conference (I need two volunteers for 5/6 recess.)

Friday, February 14th
PD Day
AWSA conference

Wednesday, February 19th
Culver's Night 4-8PM

Thursday, February 20th
Requested family conferences 4:30-8:00PM

Friday, February 21st
Jeans Day!

Monday, February 24th
School Board meeting  7PM

Friday, February 28th
Jeans Day!
Student Senate Carnival  5-8PM

Thursday, March 5th
Arena style family conferences  4:30-8:00PM

Saturday, March 7th
EdCampElmbrook 8:00-2:30
PTO Trivia Night

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
Lessons from Groundhog Day (the movie) (from Allyson Apsey)

Speech is conveniently located midway between thought and action, where it often substitutes for both.
John Andrew Holmes,
writer


(From my good friend Tom Murray.  You are all leaders!)

I want to believe that there is a mountain so high that I will spend my entire life striving to reach the top of it.
Cicely Tyson,
actress

A Rotten Week...and a Revelation (from Dave Burgess, and it's worth the read!)

Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
Cicely Tyson,
actress

I think inspiration is always around; it's just a question of whether or not you're noticing it.
John Green,
writer

Meemic Foundation
I wanted to send out this friendly reminder about the Meemic Foundation and grants for our school.  There is no pressure to switch insurance at all.  It's just an opportunity for Meemic to give back to educators.  Here is the link to sign up for the Meemic Foundation.  Please see me if you have any questions.

You just never know...
I received this from a former student who is now in college in Texas and would like to become a teacher.  The last line says it all.

I for sure will because you definitely can help me get a job at a school. I really did enjoy talking with you about everything because you have been very helpful. I will stay in contact with you throughout the rest of my college career. But if I am ever in town I will most definitely stop by to say hi and talk. I am very thankful I reached out to you though because the way I was taught at Merton is the reason I wanted to become an educator.

Enjoy the weekend!
#JustInspire
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment