Friday, November 20, 2020

Thanksgiving is not just one day

As the school year continues, I have found that every day brings at least one thing for which I am thankful.  To be honest, I'm thankful for many things every day.  I'm thankful for my family because they are always there to support me, encourage me, or give me a swift kick in the pants.  They seem to know just what I need.  I'm thankful for each of you.  You take care of our kids and you take care of each other, and we all learn something every day.  I'm thankful for the concerns you share about our kids, the celebrations you have for and with our kids, and the direction that you provide our kids on a daily basis.  And I'm thankful that I get to go to school with each of you every day!

Staying Centered
I read my friend Jessica's blog on Monday.  She is a middle school principal who just a couple of short years ago was a kindergarten principal.  She is the co-author of Balance Like a Pirate and always provides great suggestions.  She is honest and in her most recent blog talks about how lonely it can be as an educator.  The thoughts in the visual below have helped her become more centered, and I hope that they will help you as well.  Practice one or more of these thoughts over the weekend and over Thanksgiving Week so that they become a habit for you and help you get back to feeling centered.

Calendar
Friday, November 20th    Material pickup/ Hat Day!
Tuesday, November 24th-Sunday November 29th    Thanksgiving Break!
Tuesday, November 24th    AM 30 minute grade level meetings (see below)
Monday, November 30th    School board meeting 7PM
Friday, December 4th    Material pickup
Wednesday, December 9th    Staff SEL meeting 7:45AM in the gym
Friday, December 11th    Material pickup
Wednesday, December 16th    8th grade PreACT at 9:15AM in the gym

From one of our guest teachers...
It's really awesome when people use the shared substitute drives and make sub plans with links to presentations, assignments, etc. But, please remember that everything that gets linked must also get its sharing settings changed so that whoever is subbing can access the linked materials.
Also, gold stars to people who include video lessons so things are explained as the students are used to!

Tweets, quotes, and blogs

Think about the AWE you are for our kids!





"The day you settle for less is the day you will get less."-
Iman Abdulmajid, model, entrepreneur



I encourage each of you to take part in this Call To Action this weekend!

Next Tuesday morning
Next Tuesday morning I'll be meeting with 5th and 6th grade, either in person or virtually, from 8:30 to 9:00 and then with 7th and 8th grade, either in person or virtually, from 9:15-9:45.  Specials teachers can join either meeting or they can join both, the choice is yours.  Here are the questions that will guide our discussion.  Please look them over before we meet and prepare responses in advance.

What’s one success from this school year?

What’s one challenge from this school year?

What’s something you’d like to share that helps you make connections with your in-person kids?

What’s something you’d like to share that helps you make connections with your virtual kids?

Share one trick/tool/technique that you think one of your colleagues might find helpful.

What do we need to do to make sure that, if we need, we can make the transition to fully virtual smooth for our students and their families?


Normal vs mind-blowing
This week I got more than my share of emails, but two of them really made me smile.  It could have been about any of you.  It was about going above and beyond, again, for a child.  The parent wanted me to know how lucky we are to have you as a teacher in Merton.  And we are.  But the real lucky ones are our kids.  You do incredible things every day that may seem normal to you, but they aren't normal to everyone.  You've heard me say this before, but what is normal for you is mind-blowing for someone else.  On Tuesday you'll have the opportunity to share what you do for our kids, your normal, and I know that it's going to be someone else's mind-blowing idea.

Have a great weekend!  We've got one day next week to make a difference, and I know that you will!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment