Friday, December 17, 2021

Make the moments count

I titled this week's nuts and bolts on Monday or Tuesday.  I honestly can't remember which day it was but I did know I needed a title.  It came to me as I was thinking about a quote that goes something like "Don't count the moments.  Make the moments count."  Today is one of those days where we can make the moments count.  We can make them count for our students.  We can make them count for one another.  A friend of mine, Dwight Carter (@Dwight_Carter on the Twitters), has a tag line that he uses often- "Make it a great day...or not.  The choice is yours."  I urge you, I encourage you, to make today a great day for our kids and each other.  You are here at school today and have the chance to make yet another amazing impact on our kids.  Don't let this chance go wasted.  I have watched you this week be here for kids, and each other, even at times when it's been really difficult.  When you are in front of our kids, you are creating and guiding learning activities that have an amazing impact on our kids.  Every day you have another opportunity to make an impact and today is no different.  I am honored to be your colleague.  I am honored to be your principal.  Now let's make sure to make this the best Friday of the week!

Calendar
Monday, December 20th    Happy Holiday Outfit Day
Tuesday, December 21st    Flannel and Fuzzy Socks Day/ PTO Staff Brunch
Wednesday, December 22nd    Polar Express Pajama Day
Thursday, December 23rd-Sunday, January 2nd    Winter Break
Monday, January 3rd    School resumes
(Next week I'll include calendar items for January.)

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
(from Inspiring Quotes)

"The most perfect technique is that which is not noticed at all."
Pablo Casals, cellist, conductor, composer

(from Teacher2Teacher Team)


"There are two kinds of people: the ones that need to be told and the ones who figure it out all by themselves."
Tom Clancy, writer

(from @woodard.julie via MindShift)


(from Inspiring Quotes)

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
Mae West, actor, playwright, screenwriter, singer

(from Inspiring Quotes)

"I'd rather risk an ugly surprise than rely on things I know I can do."
Helen Frankenthaler, painter

(from George Couros)

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing.  You should just do the right thing."
Dean Smith, basketball coach

As the day progresses, if you need anything from me, don't hesitate to text or message or email me.  My calendar, as of right now, is pretty open today so hopefully you'll see me in your classrooms a bit more than earlier this week.  I had one student ask me yesterday at lunch why we were having school today and the Primary School had off.  I gave him this answer- "We are lucky that our teachers have remained pretty healthy.  The Primary School has been hit hard by teacher illness which means there aren't enough available teachers for each classroom.  That's the reason."  The student is one of those who can keep asking questions, but this answer seemed to stop those questions.  After lunch, I walked around and saw "school as usual" in all of your classrooms.  Students were reading, writing, and doing school work.  You were teaching and facilitating and guiding and mentoring like you always do.  You, and the kids, may not have liked the decision but once you were back in your classroom you and the kids got right to the reason we're in school- to learn and to build relationships.  One of my former coaches, Coach Luther, had these four letters on his bumper and on t-shirts- MTXE (Mental Toughness, Extra Effort).  He lives that to this day.  I know that today is going to take mental toughness.  I know that today is going to take extra effort.  And I believe in each of you.  Coach Luther used to say this to us as well- Your attitude impacts your altitude.  When we're in front of our kids, especially, let's keep our attitude positive.
We've got this!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment