Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Tomorrow is a Snow Day!

On Saturday morning, I woke up with a sense of calm.  It had been a long week for me, and for us all.  The full week before Winter Break is always a long week for all of us.  When I woke up, Jen was already up and watching the news.  It was 6AM, early for us to be up on a weekend.  After just a while, we decided we'd seen enough of the news so I suggested watching Ted Lasso.  Who could have known that it would be the Christmas episode (Season 2, episode 4)?  I sat watching, tears streaming down my face for the last 10 minutes or so, and you might too, as three different circumstances unfolded.  If you have a chance, I encourage you to either watch that episode, or the entire series, this Winter Break (Full disclosure.  There is some raw language not suitable for our kids or the kids we teach.).  May one of these three scenes bring you joy this Holiday season.  Some might say that Ted Lasso exudes toxic positivity but I disagree.  Ted Lasso exudes looking for the positive in what might not be considered positive.  It's really all in how you decide to look at it.

Thank you!
As I think back on this short week, I was impressed by our students but I was even more impressed by you.  You continue giving your 100% every day.  The 100% you have "in the tank" might be different every day, but you certainly give the 100% that you have.  And then you offer to cover a class, ask if there is something you can help with before or after school, and find a way to smile when you're in classes with our kids.  You amaze me and make me want to be just a little better today than I was yesterday.  I'm proud to go to school with you every day!

Calendar
Wednesday, December 22nd    Staff meeting 8AM in the Learning Lounge/ Polar Express Pajama Day
Thursday, December 23rd-Sunday, January 2nd    Winter Break
Monday, January 3rd    School resumes
Wednesday, January 5th    Building meeting 7:45AM in the Learning Lounge
Wednesday, January 12th    District meeting 7:45AM
Wednesday, January 19th    Content meetings 7:45AM/ PTO Culver's Night
Friday, January 21st    Half day (AM classes)/ MLSS meeting 12:15-3:15
Monday, January 24th    Professional Learning Day
Wednesday, January 26th    Grade level meetings 7:45AM
Monday, January 31st    School board meeting
Wednesday, January 26th    Grade level meetings 7:45AM

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
(from @woodard_julie via MindShift)


(from Inspiring Quotes)

"We cannot become what we want to be by remaining what we are."
Max De Pree, business executive, writer


"Wonder and knowledge are both to be cherished."
Stephen Jay Gould, paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, writer

(from Teacher2Teacher Team)

A laugh to end your week (I promise that it's worth it the 4 minutes!)

As I finish this while watching the Rams and the Seahawks on television, I've been asked again what I'm doing.  The answer tonight was always "school work".  I was answering emails, scheduling phone calls with families, and putting final touches on our nuts and bolts.  Tomorrow night I'll be doing no school emails.  Lauren and I are going to the Bucks games with some friends.  I've promised Jen no school emails for Thursday.  We'll be going to Fox Lake to be with Jen's family.  Friday will be another day of no school emails as we clean our house and get ready to host my side of the family for Christmas Eve.  Saturday is Christmas Day, so that's another no school email day.  Plus, the Packers are playing.  That's four days in a row of no school email, and that's alright.  When I get around to school emails on Sunday, or maybe not until Monday, I'll just settle in and get to work.  I encourage you to take the same time off from school emails.  In fact, I would suggest taking even more time off.  I promise to not send you and emails before Monday the 27th.  If something really important comes up that can't wait, I'll text you or I'll text someone who can text you.  Our school emails will still be there when we get to them, whenever that might be.  Take some time away from school, reconnect with your family and friends, relax, do something you enjoy, and come back refreshed and invigorated for 2022.  Take some time off.  You deserve it.
Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, and a relaxing Winter Break!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment