Sunday, January 1, 2017

Priorities- My #oneword2017

I have been a big fan of the #oneword challenge for a couple of years now.  Last year my #oneword was focus.  Although I wasn't as focused as I would have liked to have been, I still went back to my #oneword often, especially in times when I didn't know what to do.  This year, when I decided to take the challenge again, it didn't take me long to choose my #oneword- priorities.  This quote from Stephen Covey helped me make my choice.

Determining priorities can be the most difficult part of choosing the word priorities, but I have a plan.  My priority must be what I am doing at every moment.  At school it should be ensuring the students and staff have all that they need to create a positive learning environment.  At home it should be powering down from work and social media, giving my attention to my bride and daughter more often than I currently do.  Ultimately, my priorities depend on where I am and who I am with.

I must admit that this is really going to be a challenge for me.  I have felt that I could always multi-task pretty well, but when I multi-task I honestly have no priorities.  It's time for me to put down my phone, close my chromebook, and be present in whatever moment I find myself in.  That's how I will try to find my priorities.

It's going to take a lot of practice and so far this year (it's only one day), I've found ways to prioritize being ready for our first day of school in 2017, completing a 6 mile run, and spending some quality time with my bride.  My daughter and I will be spending time together soon as she gets her homework done before tonight's Packer game.  She'll be sporting her Randall Cobb jersey and I'll be wearing my lucky Packer hat.

As I spent time at school today, I created a bulletin board for staff and students to share their #oneword with each other.  Mine is already posted and was shared with staff in our nuts and bolts on Friday.  The challenge now is to live up to my #oneword and to help others live up to theirs, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment