Thursday, January 5, 2017

What's your goal for testing?

As you know from our grade level and specials meetings on Thursday, we'll be working on reading goals with our students on Wednesday.  Students will write their name on one side of a strip of paper and their reading, or other academic, goal on the other side.  Each homeroom will be creating a paper chain and your name and goal should be included, too.  You have the advantage of knowing what we'll be doing in advance of the kids.  So, with that said, what is your goal for testing?  What will you do to provide an environment that allows all kids to give their best?  What will you say to the kids to make sure that they understand the importance of these tests?  How will you help the kids develop a goal and a plan to go with it?  These questions are vital to our efforts to reach our school goal of improving our reading scores.  We're all in this together.  It starts with me, moves through each of you, and flows to our kids.  I can't wait to see our paper chain in the commons next Wednesday.  It will be awesome!

Great things I saw this week...

  • You and the kids got back into the swing of learning.  It was as if we didn't even have a break.  There's something to say about shorter Winter Breaks.
  • Reading.  Reading.  Reading.
  • I got to facilitate a discussion in Science class.  Dave sat down and let me take over.  The kids did a great job citing evidence to support their claims.  I was more than impressed as this is just one example of what all of you do to help our students express themselves eloquently.
  • The #oneword2017 bulletin board is filling up.
  • Indoor recess due to the weather still allowed the kids to be active.  I played music (Kidzbop) on my chromebook and it was like being at a 7/8 dance.  The only thing that was different was that the lights were all on and there were basketballs and volleyballs.  Anyone who has chaperoned knows what I'm talking about.
  • Great conversations about kids and what we can do for them while they're here at school.  You are the most caring staff any principal could ever work with.

Calendar
Monday, January 9

  • Practice 7:00-8:15
Tuesday, January 10
  • Practice 7:00-8:15
  • Cover class for IEP 2:30-4:00
  • Homework Club 4:15-5:15
Wednesday, January 11
  • RtI Wednesday 8:00-9:15 (Don't forget to wear your Merton Way t-shirts!)
    • collaboration time until 8:55
    • meet in the gym
    • goal paper chain in classrooms 9:00-9:15
  • AHS visits 8th graders 12:22-1:03 (Little Theater)
  • A-team meeting 1:30-3:00
Thursday, January 12
  • Practice 7:00-8:15
  • Grade level/ specials meetings
  • Homework Club 4:15-5:15
Friday, January 13
  • Practice 7:00-8:15
Saturday, January 14
  • EdCampMadWI- EdCamp in Sun Prairie (Anyone want to join me there?)

Tweets, blogs, and quotes
Three Keys to Creating Successful Reading Experiences (by Pernille Ripp)



Thanks for a great week.  My one regret- I didn't get to spend as much time in classes this week as I wanted.  My hope is that next week is a week full of classroom visits, mini-observations (I hope to get through number 4 for all of you next week), conferring with kids in all classes, and spreading positivity.  Want to visit someone's classroom?  Sign up on my door and I'll cover your class.  Want to call a parent for a positive call?  Send me a text, tweet, vox, or email and I'll stop in so that you can make a call.  Want to cover my lunch/recess duty so I can visit band, choir, art, or study hall?  Just let me know.  Want to join the kids for lunch or recess?  Come on down.  Let's concentrate next week on opening some doors, both literally and figuratively, to make our last full week of the first semester an awesome one for kids and each other.
Be the one!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment