Friday, March 31, 2017

Fourth quarter- We can do this!


Not only is today the end of the 3rd quarter, it also takes us one more week closer to Spring Break.  When given the opportunity in unstructured situations at this time of the year, our kids will sometimes make a bad choice or two.  Honestly, I've been known to make a bad choice in unstructured situations at this time of the year, too.  Providing some parameters to these unstructured times will help keep the kids focused as we get closer to break.  Please let me know if I can be of any assistance with anything next week.
On an unrelated note, I'll be trying to get as many makeup tests done for the Forward Exam next week as I can, especially in the mornings.  I know that it's not ideal, but that's the time I'll have available in the STEM lab.  Every afternoon I'll be out and about in classrooms.  If you want me, or need me, to be in your classes, just let me know.

Great things I saw this week...
  • Continued great effort by our students with the Forward Exam
  • A return to content once the Forward Exams were over
  • Volleyball tournament at lunch, and great effort by our school's volleyball teams
  • 6th graders learning to play the guitar
  • Comments from 5th grade students and families about our school (Ask the 5th grade team!)
  • Students going out of their way to be good friends (Ask Patrick!)
  • Genius hour in 6th grade has the students focused on something they want to learn about
  • Laughter at grade level meetings
  • Sphero Club is growing
  • Great discussions about kids
Calendar
Monday, April 3rd
  • 7:30-8:15  coaching
  • 3:00-4:00  cover Patrick
  • 5:20  volleyball games @ Erin
Tuesday, April 4th
  • 7:15-8:30  volleyball practice
  • 10:15-11:45  Dave observation
  • 2:30-3:00  Heather
  • 4:15-5:15  Homework Club
Wednesday, April 5th
  • 12:22-1:03  7th/8th grade meeting
  • 1:30-3:00  A-team meeting
Thursday, April 6th
Friday, April 7th
  • I am gone all day (visiting UW Oshkosh with Jen and Lauren)
Saturday, April 8th- Monday, April 17th
  • Spring Break
Tweets, quotes, and blogs
The Vulnerability of Learning (from George Couros)

EdCampElm session notes (I attended along with our own Vickey Moore, one of the organizers.)

10 Commandments of Innovative Teaching (from George Couros)



I can remember someone saying once they had a bad day.  I don't think that can actually happen.  You can have bad things happen in days, but you can't really have a bad day.  The same is true for having a bad week.  It can't happen.  I challenge you to think back on any day and not find something positive.  You woke up, didn't you?  That's positive.  Sure, you may have stubbed your baby toe on the bed frame, but you woke up.  And I'm sure there was a time in your day where you smiled, or maybe even laughed.  Sometimes that laughter might be the turning point in your day.  So let's start our day with a laugh or two at breakfast this morning as we get ready to flip the calendar to April.
Be the one!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment