Friday, January 25, 2019

Stories

I have a few friends in my PLN that just blow me away.  Today I'm going to share a blog from Don Gately, a friend from NYC.  He shared a blog about two of his teachers and, honestly, I wish that I would have written it about you (Yes, you!).  Here's Don's post.
Now that you've read his post, I'd like you to do me a favor.  Select one of your colleagues here at school and write them a note about how you noticed their awesomeness, how they crush it every day for our kids.  As the first line of Don's blog says, "if you don't tell your own stories, somebody will tell them for you."

Great things I saw this week...
The first semester started strong on Monday.
Andrea (Megan's student teacher) stepped right in for a read aloud.
Despite the impending snow day, you and the kids kept right on working up to 4:00 on Tuesday.
This email from Thursday-
Good afternoon!

I saw a lot of kids today at the Kids Build Wisconsin booth at Milwaukee Tool.  Out of the 400 kids I saw in the morning session, the three that stood out the most to me were from Merton.  We were charged with assisting the rebuild of the wall too many times to count – but your three kids not only stuck around and built it up repeatedly without the reward of knocking it down but rebuilt a new design every time, each an improvement on the wall before.  It was fun to watch engineering minds at work.

My coworker and I kept talking about how they were our shining stars today on the way back, and they made our day three times better.  J
Quality control lesson in Social Studies (Ask Carey and Mary about this.).
Interesting seating for readers and writers (Check out the smore.).
A new way of playing table tennis (Again, check out the smore.).
Great grade level conversations about kids.
The kids effort during MAPs makeup testing.
The care and concern Jackie has for all of our kids.  If you haven't been in a parent meeting with her, you should.  She is amazing.

Calendar
Intermediate School Special Events

*Don't forget to schedule your mid-year SLO/PPG with me as soon as you have your mid-year results (MAP tests completed or other in class assessment that was used)

Saturday, January 26th
EdCampMadWI (at Sun Prairie High School)
Staff get together

Monday, January 28th
BLT meeting 4:15
School board meeting 7:00

Tuesday, January 29th
Jay in Madison for AWSA webinar (Anyone up for a GOOSE pass for helping cover lunch and recess duty?)

Friday, February 1st
8:15 staff meeting to discuss the use of key fobs

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
As Technology Becomes Easier to Use, Our Depth of Learning Needs to Continue to Increase (from George Couros)

Ideals are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them with your hands. But like the seafaring man on the desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them you will reach your destiny.
Carl Schurz,
Union Army general and American statesman

Is School Really Safe for All? (from Pernille Ripp)


30 Day Challenge For a Happier Teacher You (from Pernille Ripp)


I think if you want to make art, at some point you have to suspend judgment, and you have to involve yourself with play and not worry about the outcome.
Richard Serra,
sculptor

The Hidden Stories of Those Around Us (from Tom Murray)


22 Moments from 80s Movies That Sum Up Teaching Middle School (from WeAreTeachers)



I've got one more video that you have to see.  It's from Joe Sanfelippo, a friend of mine from Fall Creek.  It's a must see about that one moment 10 years ago.  Here is the link. (#GoCrickets!)

That's all I've got for this week.  I hope that you stay warm today.
Be the spark!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment