Friday, October 18, 2019

Keep on learning

This week I had my first meeting at Leadership camp, formally known as "Living as a Leader".  There were interesting discussions, thought-provoking questions, and a chance to connect with leaders from a variety of businesses, and not one was education.  Just like when I attend conferences or learn on Twitter or Voxer, I was amazed at the similarities of being a leader regardless of the type of business.  We share one common denominator- we work with people and people are as varied as the types of jobs they do.  It really is fascinating.
Our facilitator is Cindy and she also happens to be my coach.  You've heard this before- everyone needs a coach- and I'm ready to do all that I can to learn from her about being a better leader.  I know I will be doing a lot of reflecting and I may need some of you to be guinea pigs for me as I try out new ideas and practices.  You will be able to help me learn what works for us as a school and what doesn't work for us as a school.  I guess you could say that you are going to help me continue to learn, so thank you in advance.  As educators it's important for all of us to keep on learning.

Great things I saw this week...
Building hot air balloons in 5th grade
Lauren joining in during football in PE
Great pride put into video book discussions
Listening in on conversations during book clubs
Kids really focused during Math work time, even for a guest teacher!
Putting plans together for our kids before conferences and during conferences
Kids thanking me for being in the crosswalk at student drop off and student pick up
The patience you have with our students, and more than just on the outside
Thinking of ways to meet SEL needs as a grade level
Seeing you eat together before conferences

Calendar
Please continue to review the Intermediate Special Events Calendar at our weekly grade level and specials meetings, too.

Saturday, October 19th
EdCampWalkersPoint 8:00-3:00

Monday, October 21st-Wednesday, October 23rd
Red Ribbon Week

Monday, October 21st
Team Up Against Drugs (wear your favorite team gear)
Taco Lunch
BLT meeting 4:15

Tuesday, October 22nd
Turn Off the Lights on Drugs (wear all black)

Wednesday, October 23rd
Put Drugs to Sleep (wear pajamas)

Thursday, October 24th
PD day- No students

Friday, October 25th
No School

Monday, October 28th
School board meeting

Name it.  Claim it.  Explain it.
Not sure that anyone claimed the "spooky" picture from last week.  Here's this week's!

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
The First Time We Ask (from Pernille Ripp)

You cannot force ideas. Successful ideas are the result of slow growth.
Alexander Graham Bell,
inventor, scientist

(from Brent Coley)

Educator or Liberator? (from Matt Renwick)

Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher,
actress, writer


A Few Words From a Student Changed My Perspective (from Matt Johnson)


Staff PTO grants
Don't forget about staff PTO grants.  This link will take you directly to the form.  I'm not sure of the deadline, but getting a grant request in sooner rather than later is a great idea!

Keep on learning
You may have noticed that this part of our nuts and bolts has the same title as the blog.  The reason for this is that while on the Twitters on Wednesday night participating in the #BeTheOne chat, I came across a free learning opportunity that doesn't even require you to leave your home or your pajamas.  It's called the Teacher Success Summit and you can find the link here.  Just go to the link and register.  It's that simple.  There are many great speakers who will share ideas with you that you can then share with us.  I'm registered and look forward to participating.  Maybe I'll "see" you there while I keep on learning.



Thanks so much for all of your efforts this week with scheduled conferences on conference night as well as the unscheduled conferences and phone calls that you have had leading up to last night.  The families appreciate the emails, but the phone calls and face to face conversations are where it's at!
#JustInspire
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment