Friday, September 18, 2020

Give Today's Best

I always read the Sunday Seven from Dave Burgess Consulting.  Last Sunday while watching the Cowboys and the Rams on television, I had a chance to read what Rae Hughart (@RaeHughart) wrote.  Number one of the seven really caught my attention, and I hope that it catches yours as well.

1. Give Today's Best 

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again for our friends in the back - You can not give 100% all of the time and neither can your students. It's not that we don’t wish we could be superheroes and give our 100% every moment of the day - but things get in the way. Stress, Anxiety, Exhaustion - you name it. 

So why carry the expectation for 100% every moment of the day only to fall short? Give your self a little grace and start focusing on giving “Todays Best.” 

“I talk with my students all the time about the inability for anyone to be able to give 100% all the time. It's just impossible with all of the other elements of a person's life. 

So, I do not ask students to give 100% each day. Rather, I ask them to give Today's Best. 

Today’s Best is the best a person can give throughout their day at that moment in time. Sometimes Today's Best is only 90% of their typical effort, because they are struggling with things outside of class. Sometimes Today's Best is asking the student to operate at 60% or even 70%. 

Rather than set an unrealistic expectation when the going gets tough, simply provide the best you can for that day, at that moment. 

Then, you start fresh the following day.” 
- Teachers Deserve It, Chapter 10: Teachers Deserve Boundaries

Try it out and take a moment to reflect from time to time how your Best is going today? Can you commit to Today’s Best?  I know that you can!

Calendar

Monday, September 21st    BLT meeting 4:15PM

Wednesday, September 23rd    Intermediate Staff meeting 7:45AM

Thursday, Septemeber 24th    CPI training 7:30AM or 4:15PM (Special education staff and select classroom teachers)

Monday, September 28th- Sunday, October 4th    Culver's Week

Monday, September 28th    Board meeting 6PM

Thursday, October 1st    CPI training 7:30AM or 4:15PM

(Yes, Jen shared this with me.)



Reminders and requests
I received an email from a student on Wednesday with a request.  If you have a guest teacher, please remind them to start the Google Meet at the beginning of the class period.  I know that you have that habit in place, but our guest teachers don't have that habit yet.  Thanks for adding that reminder to your guest teacher plans.

Please remember to reach out to the families of our virtual students.  I know that each grade level had some sort of rotation in place to accomplish this communication.  On a related note, I've heard from some of our families that they are impressed with how you include virtual students in your classes.  Keep up the great work!

Blue dots!  Red dots!  Whatever color dots you have, if you need more, please use the Buildings and Grounds form that has been shared by Ron.  More importantly, please make sure that you have the student's seated on the dots.  That helps us maintain our 6 feet of distance.

"Teacher shape"
I've had this conversation with some of you and thought that I would share it with everyone.  The last time many of you taught all day was March 12th.  That's almost 6 months!  It takes time to get back into shape.  Is what we're doing now different from what we were doing March 12th.  It certainly is but I would argue that every year we take some time to get into "teacher shape".  This year just seems to be different with the addition of masks and virtual students.  We're now three weeks in and with any training to get back into shape, it's important to have time to recover.  Many of you know I'm done with technology at 9PM.  It let's my mind stop for a bit and helps me sleep.  Sleep is also important for recovery.  And think about what and when you're eating.  If you don't fuel properly, your training will not be as effective.  Ultimately, I just want you to make sure that you're taking care of yourself so that you can take care of our kids and each other.
Have a great weekend!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment