Friday, September 25, 2020

Memories of 21st Night of September- Earth, Wind, & Fire

This week sent me back a bit.  Two memories, which might seem unrelated, got me thinking about things that impact our lives.  The two are related because of the Earth, Wind & Fire song "September".


The first memory is of me in college singing that song as loud as I can (karaoke didn't exist in 1982) during track parties.  But the memory isn't just about the song.  It's about the decision that I made to change majors, from biomedical engineering to elementary education, during conversations with my track teammates.  We spent a lot of time together at practice and in the same wing of the dorm.  Some of us knew what we wanted to do or be after college but others, myself included, weren't sure.  It's those conversations with some guys at school that helped me realize what I wanted to do with my life, and I'm glad that I listened to them.
The second memory is of former Merton student Emily who passed last year on September 21st.  When I think back about Emily I just remember the impact that an 8th grade student had on so many of us.  She was kind, treated everyone with respect, and was a role model for all students and staff.  Her passing caught many of us off guard but it also brought the staff together.  Thanks to Jackie who emailed me on Sunday night to include an announcement remembering Emily's passing.  I told Dave that I still have the bag Emily gave me at the end of the 2019 school year with a hand written note and candy that stays uneaten.
Why am I bringing up these two unrelated memories?  Here's why. We all have the opportunity to be a part of the memories of our students and our colleagues.  We have the ability and the responsibility to impact those we come in contact with on a daily basis.  As one of our Merton fathers said to his son in my office a few years back, "With great power comes great responsibility."  It's also a quote from Spiderman.  We all have the power to positively impact one another.  Listen to each like my college friends did for me to help lead me on my path.  And be like Emily, kind and always caring for others.

Calendar
Thursday, September 23rd    Virtual materials to office by 4PM/ CPI training 7:30AM and 4:15PM
Friday, September 24th    Material pickup (This begins our weekly material pickup for virtual students.)
Monday, September 28th    School board meeting 6PM
Wednesday, September 30th    Workout Wednesday/ Staff meeting 7:45AM
Thursday, October 1st    Virtual materials to office by 4PM/ Self-review is due/CPI training 7:30AM and 4:15PM
Friday, October 2nd    Material pickup
Tuesday, October 6th    Flu shots
Wednesday, October 7th    Staff meeting 7:45AM
Thursday, October 8th    Picture retake day/Virtual materials to office by 4PM/ CPI training 7:30AM and 4:15PM
Friday, October 9th    Material pickup
Wednesday, October 14th    Staff meeting 7:45AM
Thursday, October 15th    Virtual materials to office by 4PM/ CPI training 7:30AM and 4:15PM
Friday, October 16th    Material pickup
Monday, October 19th    BLT meeting 4:15PM
Wednesday, October 21st    Staff meeting 7:45AM
Thursday, October 22nd    No School
Friday, October 23rd    No School
Monday, October 26th    School board meeting 6PM
Wednesday, October 28th    Staff meeting 7:45AM
Thursday, October 29th    Virtual materials to office by 4PM
Friday, October 30th    Material pickup

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
Please take a few moments to read this blog post from Tara Martin.  And be like a sunflower.



It was great seeing everyone together on Wednesday morning.  The shoutouts were great.  Seeing our new staff share their excitement about being a part of our Merton family was amazing.  Writing messages in chalk for our students was incredible.  We need to do find ways to get together more often.  Maybe Wednesday morning is the time that we make sure to reconnect.  Maybe I take a class so that you can connect with someone you haven't had a chance to connect with in a while.  I'm open to any suggestions.  We have so much to offer one another and as Brian Fleischman would say, "We are our best resource."  If you've got some ideas, send them my way!

And while I'm thinking, if you have a student or colleague that deserves a #GoodNewsCall OfTheDay, send their name and the reason why to me in an email.  I'd love to make about 15 calls today!

Have a great weekend, and I hope that you find time to unplug from technology and connect with family and friends.
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment