Friday, January 8, 2021

Happy New Year!

What an amazing week!  It was great to see you back on Monday, reconnecting with our kids and each other.  I even think I was able to stop by and see you, even if just for a moment, throughout the day on Monday.  Tuesday came and went with the chance to continue to get back into the swing of school life and the chance for me to visit more classrooms.  Wednesday was the chance to remind students of so much during our Second Step lessons and provided some photo opportunities with anti-bullying posters in the 6th grade hallway.  After that I witnessed some incredibly resilient staff and students power through Wednesday and Thursday, making the days seem as normal as possible.  The entire week gave me yet another reason to be proud to serve you as principal.  We were never promised an easy road when we chose education.  We did promise ourselves that we would make a difference in the lives of kids.  This week you all showed that, and for that I will be eternally grateful.  Thank you!

Calendar
Monday, January 11th    Global Awareness Committee 1PM/ BLT meeting 4:15PM
Wednesday, January 13th    Adult SEL 7:45AM (Chapter 7 Onward)/Scheduling meeting 4:15PM (see information below)
Thursday, January 14th    Spelling Bee 4:30PM
Friday, January 15th    Half day noon release (Please get your schedules to Barb and me)
Monday, January 18th    PD day (see schedule below)
Thursday, January 21st    I start the day with a dental appointment
Monday, January 25th    School board meeting 6PM
Wednesday, January 27th    Workout Wednesday!
Tuesday, February 2nd    I leave early for appointments

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
"An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in.  A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves."-
Bill Vaughan, writer, columnist
(I sure hope you were the first one!)


"People learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what they learned the day before was wrong."-
Bill Vaughan, writer, columnist


"Do the best you can until you know better.  Then when you know better, do better."-
Maya Angelou, poet, writer, screenwriter, educator


"This is a wonderful day, I have never seen this one before."-
Maya Angelou, poet, writer, screenwriter, educator

Scheduling meeting (January 13th at 4:15PM in Room 106)
As many of you are aware, we are looking at developing a schedule for next school year.  We have parameters, which are non-negotiable, for time by content as well as levels of staffing.  Our first meeting is on Wednesday, January 13th at 4:15 in Room 106.  If you are interested in joining us, please come with ideas, an open mind, and the realization that as of right now there isn't a specific schedule that will be shared.  Don't feel as if you need to stay for the entire meeting as I know that after school times, especially with daycare, can be difficult.  We will meet as often as is necessary, probably every two weeks.  My goal is to have a schedule prepared to share with our School Board by Spring Break.  Ideally, I'd like to have a schedule "skeleton" developed by the end of January so that we can spend February having discussions.  I've heard that some of you don't feel that your thoughts and ideas will be taken into account during this process.  Please trust me when I say that I am looking forward to you sharing your thoughts.  I also must say that decisions will need to be made and some thoughts and ideas will not be able to come to fruition.  If you have questions about the schedule or the process, please set up a time to discuss these questions with me.  Ultimately, I am will make the final decision.

Professional Development Day (January 18th)
8:00-10:30  Team/Curriculum/Planning time (I am attending an IEP meeting)
9:00-10:00 Katie/Carey/Heidi meet to discuss Social Studies
10:30-11:30  Student SEL discussion and activity (meet in the gym)
11:30-12:30  Lunch provided by the district (see April’s email)
12:30-1:00 5th grade meeting
1:00-2:00 Science meeting with Mary
2:00-3:00 6th grade meeting
2:30-3:00 7th grade meeting
3:00-3:30 8th grade meeting

Bonus personal day
The bonus personal day is now available for all applicable employees in Skyward.

A-team updates

Covid Updates: School Staff currently are in a 2A grouping for vaccines. Further/decisions are being made on this directed by the health department. County/State looking to rollout an App that would assist with contact tracing. 

Staffing Update: Welcome Amy Huck to the Math Intervention role (IS &PS). At this time we will not look to add a building substitute with the shifting of roles. We will always assess needs in the future as well.

Summer School Dates: June 14th-July 1st, July 6th-July 22nd, Camp Invent July 26th-30th, August 2nd-13th. Face-to-Face (possible Virtual too)

Supervision and Evaluation- Instructional Support Staff: Discussion on the rubric used & edited. Becca and I will be meeting with staff this upcoming month.

After a 16 day Winter Break, it was great being back together again in school. As I traveled the building, I notice how much you care about our kids, the learning activities that you have created, and the interactions you have with one another. What I also know is that I still have a lot to learn about each of you. I have more listening to do. I have to reflect more on what I say and how I say it. I need to continue to build your trust in me, in each other, and in our kids. I know that sometimes you might come to the office looking for me and when you get there, I'm not there. It can be discouraging because at that moment you may really need to talk. Before you come to the office, just send me a text or an email. Most of the time I'll be able to meet you but if I cannot, know that I will connect with you later that day either in person or by phone. Thank you for taking the time to read this late Thursday night ramble.

See you soon, and make sure to take some time for yourself this weekend!
Jay
Take care of the kids. Take care of each other. Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment