Friday, January 15, 2021

It's half time!

Today ends the first semester, and I can hardly believe it.  When we started in August, I can honestly say I didn't know how long we would last in face to face learning.  I'm so happy that we are still face to face.  It's important for the curriculum, but it's more important for the relationships.  I'm hopeful that you feel the same, and the activity we will participate in on Monday morning, as well as our grade level meetings, might make you feel this even more.  I didn't coin the phrase but I use it often when discussing our school.  I let others know that we are all about the 3 Rs- relationships, relationships, relationships- and the stronger those Rs are the more our kids will learn.  Let's keep focusing on the kids as we continue the school year.  It's why we're here!

Calendar
Friday, January 15th    Half day noon release
Monday, January 18th    PD day (see schedule below)
Thursday, January 21st    I start the day with a dental appointment
Monday, January 25th    School board meeting 6PM
Wednesday, January 27th    Workout Wednesday!
Tuesday, February 2nd    I leave early for appointments

Tweets, quotes, and blogs


"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."-
Will Rogers, actor, performer, humorist, columnist


"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."-
Will Rogers, actor, performer, humorist, columnist

Professional Development Day (January 18th)
8:00-10:30  Team/Curriculum/Planning time (I am attending an IEP meeting)
9:00-10:00 Katie/Carey/Heidi meet to discuss Social Studies
10:30-11:30  Student SEL discussion and activity (meet in the gym)
11:30-12:30  Lunch provided by the district (see April’s email)
12:30-1:00 5th grade meeting
1:00-2:00 Science meeting with Mary
2:00-3:00 6th grade meeting
2:30-3:00 7th grade meeting
3:00-3:30 8th grade meeting

Onward, and adult SEL
As we continue to build our social/emotional resilience as educators, we hope to see our work transfer into our professional lives.  At team meetings for the next month, please take the first few minutes of your meeting to work through the following activity as a team.  Together we are stronger than individually apart!!
Look for the Light (pg 189, Onward)
In December, as the first half of the school year comes to a close and our planet cycles into winter, perhaps our school communities could gather to identify and celebrate bright spots.  We could name our own growth and surface the connections between our own learning and the growth of others.  I might say, "I'm proud of myself for...," and a colleague would add, "I also saw you grow when you..."  We'd look for the light--in ourselves and in others--being reminded that when the nights are long and the sun hangs low on the horizon, we just need to pay closer attention.  The light is always there.

Update on the schedule
A number of staff got together to talk about next year's schedule on Wednesday.  I'm still collecting thoughts about these two topics- what's one thing we need to have in a schedule for our kids and what's one thing we need to have in a schedule for you.  Once I have more ideas, I'll share them with you all.  If you weren't at the meeting and want to share your thoughts with me, please do.  My plan is to take these ideas and put together a schedule to share with you by the end of January.  That won't be the final schedule, just the first schedule to discuss.  If you'd like to talk about the schedule, please see me.  I'd love to chat!

Educator Effectiveness
Please make sure to set up a mid-year meeting with me before the end of next week.  Check my calendar for an open spot, sign up, and let's have a chat.  There's no need to have anything prepared, except reflecting on the year so far.

Thank you!
I appreciate you more than you can know.  This week has been one that was full of meetings and workshops and conversations, some of my own doing and others not.  After reflecting on the week, what I remember most is the number of you who asked me how I was doing.  I know that I don't ask each of you that enough, and after this week with you checking in on me, I realize I need to check in on each of you more often.  Some of you may think I'm naive when I send emails that start out, "Good morning, Merton family!", but I really feel that about our school.  Families have their ups and downs, and we will too, but ultimately a family has a focus on relationships.  As the year keeps moving forward, let's remember to find ways to lift each other up, support one another, and keep a focus on the kids.  And let's check in on each other more often.

Have a great weekend, and Go Pack Go!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment