Thursday, May 27, 2021

It's the final countdown?

Last Friday morning I read this post (On Counting Down the Days...Again) from Pernille Ripp.  This is a reposting of a 2017 post and the introduction really got me, especially this line...
"We can still be glad to have the chance to step away to recharge without notching the days."
Our kids are counting down the days.  You are counting down the days.  I'm counting down the days.  But that shouldn't be our focus.  Our focus should still be on the kids, on relationships, and on providing our kids a safe place to learn and connect with one another.

Calendar
Thursday, May 27th    NJHS induction  6PM
Friday, May 28th    No School
Monday, May 31st    No School
Tuesday, June 1st  5th grade to Fireman's Park (PM)
Thursday, June 3rd  Celebration Day
Friday, June 4th  6th grade to Fireman's Park (PM)
Monday, June 7th  8th grade to Lisbon Park (12:30-4:00)
Tuesday, June 8th    8th grade graduation
Wednesday, June 9th    Half day/ Last day of school

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
(from Mind/Shift)

"Education is about elevation.
Not only of our students but of one another.  Everything we do to create better opportunities for those we serve should be cheered on and learned from, but they don’t have to be replicated in every classroom as it is.  We all bring different strengths, passions, and talents to our classrooms, and utilizing them to provide great but varied experiences, is beneficial to learning."
(from George Couros)

(I got this from Jen.  Just seemed appropriate for this week.)

Dear Teacher: Heartfelt Advice for Teachers from Students
(This pertains just as much to me in working with all of you, too.  As we get closer to the end of the year, the advice from these kids seems even more important.)

Rest is Essential to Growth (from George Couros)


(I got this one from Jen, too.)

With masks being optional, please consider using this language when speaking with our students
I know it is easy to say, "it is not required" or "you don't need to wear a mask."  However, this is being interpreted to our parents not respecting their choice of having their child wear a mask.  So when asked, a better response is "it is a choice that families make so please respect what your family asks you to do."   We know that words matter and I know all of you have true intentions.  It was never anyone's intention to overstep a parent's wishes.  Thank you for pausing when asked, and if we can please respond with it being a family choice.

End of year procedures
Here is a document for end of the year procedures.  Included in this document are items from Jim regarding technology and Ron regarding building and grounds.  I'm happy to discuss these with you if you have any questions.

Educator Effectiveness
Thanks to all of you who have met with me or have scheduled your final SLO meeting.  If you haven't done so, please do so as soon as you can.  If you need to meet with me between noon and 2:00, a time that looks busy on my calendar, that is also an option.  I look forward to our conversations.

Thanks for a great week.  With a change to how we do school on Monday night, it was great to see you all come together and support all of our kids and each other.  The weekend is nearly upon us, and it's a four day weekend at that.  Unless there's something urgent, you won't be getting any emails from me.  If you need me for anything, send me a text or an email or a Vox and I'll get back to you when I check my phone.  It's a Fox Lake weekend for us and I plan on fishing, golfing, and relaxing.  I hope you can find a way to be in your happy place this weekend, too.
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment