Friday, May 21, 2021

Sometimes it's best to look in the mirror

Not too long ago, I heard a quote that went something like this.

"Sometimes it's better to look in the mirror than it is to look out the window."

I reflected on that quote after receiving an email on Wednesday.  Sometimes I don't think things all the way through.  I have an idea, see where I want it to go, and then hope that it works.  I don't think about how it might fail or how it might impact someone adversely.  I tend to see how it might impact someone positively.  That's pretty short-sided thinking.  No one is like me, nor should they be.  One Jay is enough.  (I know that you are all nodding your head right now, and that's okay.)  I look out the window and see what I wish I could have.  Instead, I should look in the mirror and see what I have and reflect on what I can do to make that better.  This year we haven't had enough staff meetings where we could get to know one another better.  I'll need to be better at making time for all of us to meet more regularly.  We will need more staff meetings next year because we'll be working with different groups of people and also some new people.  We need to get to know each other better so that we can be better for each other and for our kids.  I look forward to finishing the year strong, but I still have an eye on the future and a better Team Merton.

Calendar
Monday, May 24th    School board meeting
Tuesday, May 25th    Choir concerts 5:30PM and 7PM
Wednesday, May 26th  Use the time as needed
Thursday, May 27th    NJHS induction  6PM
Friday, May 28th    No School
Monday, May 31st    No School
Tuesday, June 1st  5th grade to Fireman's Park (PM)
Thursday, June 3rd  Celebration Day
Friday, June 4th  6th grade to Fireman's Park (PM)
Monday, June 7th  8th grade to Lisbon Park (12:30-4:00)
Tuesday, June 8th    8th grade graduation
Wednesday, June 9th    Half day/ Last day of school

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
(uki--uki.deviantart.com)

"Everyone is having a harder time than it appears."-
Charles Grodin, actor, writer, talk show host

End of year procedures
Here is a document for end of the year procedures.  Included in this document are items from the Jim regarding technology and Ron regarding building and grounds.  I'm happy to discuss these with you if you have any questions.

Room assignments
As I mentioned Wednesday morning, you will have your room assignments for next year by the end of next week.  I have been thinking about this, and I know you have as well, since we discussed teaching assignments for next year.  In working with Ron and Jim, we are going to make some improvements to a couple of classrooms (carpeting and technology, in particular).  5th grade classrooms will be downstairs while 6th, 7th, and 8th grade classrooms will all be upstairs.  I've made a plan that places all content teachers are all near one another.  I'll be speaking with individual teachers before sharing the entire plan with staff next week.

Educator Effectiveness
Thanks to all of you who have met with me or have scheduled your final SLO meeting.  If you haven't done so, please do so as soon as you can.  If you need to meet with me between noon and 2:00, a time that looks busy on my calendar, that is also an option.  I look forward to our conversations.

Park trips
As we look toward trips to Fireman's Park or Lisbon Park, please make sure someone from your grade level team completes the green form found in the office prior to Tuesday, May 25th.  If you want to share this lunch form with families if they'd like to have the food service make a lunch for their child, please feel free to do so.  The lunch staff needs them at least one week prior to your trip.  Thanks!

Well, you've nearly made it through the last full week of school.  I'm looking forward to the weekend as I'll be fishing in a fundraiser with my brother on Saturday and then golfing with high school buddies on Sunday.  Saturday night will be spent on the patio with Jen as we enjoy all of the work she's done, including the new lighting.
Have a great weekend!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment