Friday, September 17, 2021

What do you do besides walk around and play music?

The title of this blog post came from a 5th grade student on Monday who asked me "What do you do besides walk around and play music?"  At first I laughed and then I remembered asking a very similar question of an 8th grader in an interview for a principal position.  His answer made me not want to be that principal when he said, "I've seen our principal once in 6th grade at student dropoff.  I saw our principal twice in 7th grade in the hallway after a fight.  I ate once with our principal in 8th grade.  Besides that, I have no idea what our principal does."  Monday I heard the same answer in that 5th grade student's question to me.  It really made me think about what else I do?  This year, not unlike any other, I feel like my day is fluid and ever-changing.  Am I making a difference in our school?  I sure hope so but it's unclear to me at times.  Do you ever feel that way?  Maybe this quote from George Couros' new book, Because of a Teacher, will let you know that you are making a difference.

Calendar
Monday, September 20th    BLT meeting 4:15 in the teachers' lounge
Tuesday, September 21st    Fresh Fruit Tuesday
Wednesday, September 22nd    All district meeting 7:45AM in the Primary School cafeteria
                                                    (Virtual learning refresher)
Friday, September 24th    Self-reviews completed and meeting with Jay scheduled
Monday, September 27th    Board meeting
Wednesday, September 29th    Building meeting 7:45AM (School Improvement Plan)
Wednesday, October 6th    Building meeting 7:45AM (Housekeeping)
Thursday, October 7th    Picture retake day

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
"Exchange the words 'have to' with 'get to'.  Exchange the word 'can't' with 'unwilling'."
Jamie Lee Curtis, actor, writer

(sketchnote from @kwiens62- Kristin Wiens)

Don't Quit (from Tara Martin)

"What would life be like if we had no courage to attempt anything?"
Vincent Van Gogh


"Don't wait.  The time will never be just right."
Napoleon Hill

The Lee's Chicken Story (from Allyson Apsey)

"Happiness is not a goal, it's a by-product."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Cheers for Educators (from Meemic- October 5th 7:30PM)

"You can't juggle it all 100 percent.  You don't have to be perfect.  You don't have to do everything."
Connie Chung, journalist, television news anchor

"Past results don't predict future results; actually past behavior predicts future behavior, which then drives future results."
Mike Felix, leader highlighted in Multipliers

My morning walks through the building
Every morning when I get to school I walk the building and open up most of the classroom doors.  From time to time I'll notice a desktop left on (sometimes updates cause that) or a Smartboard left on.  When you leave school for the day, please make sure to turn off your Smartboard.  It saves on bulb life.  Thanks for your cooperation.  I've also noticed that many of you have your name posted outside of your classroom.  I think that our students know their classrooms now so, for safety and security reasons, I ask you to remove your names from your classroom doors and windows.  You are welcome to post your name inside your classroom if you'd like.  If you have any questions about either of these requests, please don't hesitate to reach out.

End of the day
As I get more feedback on the end of the day, it has come to my attention that some of you are leaving the building even before the hallways are clear of students.  While I know that some of you might occasionally have an appointment at the end of the day, it shouldn't become a pattern that you are leaving when the students have left your classroom at the end of the day.  At the least you should be in the hallways with the students while they are packing up, assisting with any issues that might arise. and to be available for students who might have questions for you.  Although there isn't a specific time in our staff handbook for arrival and departure, please note that 8:15-4:15 is the minimum expectation.  If you would like to speak with me about this in person, please set up a time for our discussion.

Want to be a part of our BLT?
This year, our BLT (Building Leadership Team) will have the primary focus of working on our building goals- a 20% increase in both our Math and Language Arts scores on the Forward Exam.  We will still discuss other building related issues, like our student and staff schedules and the climate and culture of our school.  Our first meeting will be at 4:15 on Monday, September 20th in the new teachers' lounge.  If you would like to be considered as a member of the BLT, please send me an email expressing your interest.  There's still time!

Thanks for a great first full week!  I've been fortunate to get into most of your classrooms to listen in, participate, and provide some feedback.  If I can be of any assistance to you- covering your class so that you can watch a colleague teach or to connect with a student's previous teacher or for a brain break- don't hesitate to reach out and let me know.  Whether the students know it or not, I do more than just walk around and play music.
See you all soon, and enjoy the weekend!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment