Thursday, September 30, 2021

When it's the right time, it's the right time

I started this week's nuts and bolts last Friday.  I thought it was the right time as I added a picture and wrote that first line.  And then I lost my thought, lost my idea, lost my focus.  The days are busy, as you know, and it's been a good busy.  But sometimes as I sit in meetings or am completing a task, I wish I was in your classroom.  The meetings are important and the tasks are important.  So are my visits to classrooms.  As I looked at my calendar I blocked off all of Tuesday morning to do nothing but get into classrooms.  A principal friend of mine once said, "If you put it on your calendar, it will get done."  So I did that.  I blocked all Tuesday morning out for classroom visits.  Do you have something you'd like me to see or would like some feedback on?  If you do, just let me know.  I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get in your classes next week, and I'll be stopping by today when I'm able.

Calendar
Monday, October 4th    Merton Monday (wear Merton gear)
                                        (Hopefully the spiritwear order arrives next week.  There have been supply issues.)
Wednesday, October 6th    Building meeting 7:45AM (6th grade staff- kids)
Thursday, October 7th    Picture retake day
Friday, October 8th    PTO meeting 9:45AM
Monday, October 11th    Merton Monday
Monday, October 18th    Merton Monday/ BLT meeting 4:15
Wednesday, October 20th    PTO Culver's Night
Friday, October 22nd    PTO Fall Fest
Monday, October 25th    Merton Monday/ Board meeting
Thursday, October 28th    Professional Learning
Friday, October 29th    No School

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
What would Ted Lasso do? (from Jen VanRossum)

(from Responsive Classroom)

"If you have a dream, don't let anybody take it away."
Selena Quintanilla, singer-songwriter, businessperson, actor, fashion designer

(from Eric Sheninger)

"Every day is a renewal, every morning the daily miracle.  This joy you feel is life."
Gertrude Stein, writer

A Valuable Lesson For a Happier Life (from School Leadership 2.0)

"You shouldn't bring an umbrella to a brainstorm."
Ted Lasso


"The time is always ripe to do right."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

""What is the next thing?"  The ineffability of that next thing preoccupies me more than anything else."
Carmen Gimenez Smith, poet, editor, publisher, educator

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it."
Amellia Earhart

Assessing Student Work
Remember way back in August when we discussed assessing student work?  Well, Maria and I are looking forward to meeting with you to assess your next assessment.  Please let Maria and I know when you would like to meet as a content area for this first discussion.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Administrative update
  • Beginning dialogue regarding 2022-23 calendar

  • Eagle Scout projects- PS 1st grade area new benches. IS bike trail

  • Welcome back Tom Showen! Tom is hired as a district sub daily.

  • Substitute Coverage is a challenge. Discussed priorities for coverage when we cannot cover all staff members. 

  • Topics for Community Newsletter- If you have ideas, please let Becca and Jay know.

  • Intermediate School Community Open House: Monday, November 15, 2021

  • CPI Training will be held October 28, 2021. Lori will be sending an email to all special education staff.

  • Discussion on social & emotional struggles to our new year with our students; learning loss.


PTO Fall Fest
As noted in the calendar, the PTO Fall Fest will occur on Friday, October 22nd.  It is the culmination of a fundraiser.  During the day, students will be participating in an obstacle course during their recess times.  Please note the times as they slightly impact the grade level lunch/recess times.
5th grade    12:00-12:25
6th grade    12:25-12:50
7th grade    12:50-1:15
8th grade    1:15-1:40
I'll be passing on more specific information in the very near future.

That's a lot of information.  Please see me if you have any questions or concerns, and remember.  I'm here for you.  How can I help?
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment