Friday, May 27, 2022

Doing many different things

Last weekend I was lucky enough to fish all day with my brother on Saturday (together we caught 7 keeper largemouth bass) and on Sunday I attended the Brewers game with Jen and Lauren.  It was a family weekend, for sure.  I did check emails once in a while, especially on Sunday morning, and found this quote.

(from Inspiring Quotes)

On Saturday, the guide my brother and I fished with, Wally Banfi, put us on a number of spots.  Two of my favorite lines he said throughout the Saturday were "This spot looks juicy" and "I've got a story for you, and this one is true."  We tried a variety of presentations, lures, and live bait.  On this Saturday, Wisey Worms thrown into the shallows and near piers was all that was successful.  We stayed with what was best for that day.  As educators, we try a variety of things to make an impact on our students- engaging activities, support individually or in small groups, individual conversations.  Every day with our students is a new day and the "presentation" that we use might be very different today than it was yesterday or even from morning to afternoon.  Keep trying new things and you'll find the right one for the day.  And while you're at it, you should share some of your best, and worst, with your colleagues.  It's so awesome when we can learn from one another.

This week's family smore
I put this together early due to my personal day on Friday.  Just thought I would share it with you, especially with regards to the first paragraph.

Calendar
Friday, May 26th    Jeans for Troops Day ($5 to GIGo Fund for Veterans for wearing jeans)
Monday, May 30th    Memorial Day (No School)
Wednesday, June 1st    PTO meeting 8:45AM
Thursday, June 2nd    Celebration Day (This is a "no letter" day!)
Friday, June 3rd    Celebration Day rain date/ 4th to 5th grade transition afternoon
Monday, June 6th    8th grade Day Away and dance/ 5th, 6th, and 7th grade Day Aways from 9AM-2PM
Tuesday, June 7th    8th grade graduation 7PM
Wednesday, June 8th    Last day of school (half day)/ Yearbook signing and ice cream sandwiches

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
"Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever."
Margaret Cho, comedian, actor, musician, writer

(from Inspiring Quotes)

"I just want to live the moment.  I don't want to know how it's going to be, or how it's going to be there at the end.  I just want to live it."
Jo-Wilifried Tsonga, professional tennis player

(from Upworthiest)

(from @teachergoals)

BLT presentation at Student Achievement Committee on Monday night
You would all be proud of our BLT on Monday night.  Our team is Becky O., Carey, Janine, Melissa, Colleen, and Bekah.  Becky F. and Michelle joined the team on Monday to share much of the amazing work that you do every day.  Erin was there to support the team, too.  Here is the presentation.

Something from LaVonna Roth from Ignite Your S.H.I.N.E.
In the spirit of celebrating our communities in education - our mentors, our coaches, our teachers, our paraprofessionals, our administrators -  we want to make sure you know:
  • Someone woke up today thinking about the impact you made on them last week.
  • Your time, your effort, and your continued perseverance is changing this world.
  • You deserve a moment to yourself - you deserve many moments; try not to feel guilty about taking them.
  • You deserve the empathy, patience, and understanding that you give each and every day.
We hope you feel celebrated always - your work is invaluable and limitless!
Just so you know, I feel the same way about each of you every day!

A week of lasts...
As I look back at this week, I noticed that I had a week of lasts.  It was my last Student Achievement Committee meeting, and it was great to share it with our BLT, Becky F., and Michelle.  It was my last School Board meeting as a Principal and I was able to reflect on these meetings with members of the A-team after.  It was my last Band concert, and I got to play my trumpet with the Jazz Band in their final song.  It was my last staff meeting on Wednesday morning, or at least I think it was.  It has been an honor and a privilege to be your Principal.  It was my last indoor recess, or at least I hope it was.  It was my last NJHS induction ceremony.  There are a few more lasts coming up in the next couple of weeks and I have only one hope- that you are all there with me during those last few lasts.  As I said on Wednesday, it's been an honor and a privilege.

Have a great long weekend, and I'll see you on Tuesday.
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment