Friday, May 6, 2022

Zoom out

You have heard me talk about George Couros from time to time.  I share his blogs with you in our weekly nuts and bolts and he joined us in December via Google Meet for our staff meeting.  Saturday morning I read his latest weekly email and this quote struck me.


The quote and accompanying visual were what I needed as I reflected on the week.  The quote is from Dr. Will Deyamport while speaking about financial literacy with George.  Think about a point in time from this week or a day this week.  It might be a high or it might be a low.  But that's just one point on your weekly timeline.  Hopefully you've had more highs than lows (the visual on the left above) but I know that the trajectory of your week is on an upward trajectory (the visual on the right above).  I encourage you to reflect on your days and your weeks and find the good in each of them.  The school year is quickly coming to an end and we have so much good to remember.  And those good moments are what help us come back to school every day for our kids.

Here's our family smore for the week.  I'll be adding more pictures before I send this out to families at 2:00 today so if you have any pictures you'd like to share, please do!

Calendar
Friday, May 6th    Merton only Student Senate Dance
Wednesday, May 11th    District meeting 7:45AM/ AHS visits our 8th graders 1PM
Friday, May 13th    Career Day for 6th-8th grades in the AM/ District Celebration after school
Friday, May 13th-Sunday May 15th    PTO Scavenger Hunt
Tuesday, May 17th    7th and 8th grade Mega Math Meet in Madison
Wednesday, May 18th    Content meetings 7:45AM/ PTO Culver's Night
Thursday, May 19th    5th and 6th grade Mega Math Meet in Madison
Monday, May 23rd    Student Achievement Committee 4:30PM/ School Board meeting 6PM
Tuesday, May 24th    Final Band Concert
Wednesday, May 25th    NJHS induction ceremony 5:30PM
Monday, May 30th    Memorial Day (No School)
Thursday, June 2nd    Celebration Day
Friday, June 3rd    Celebration Day rain date/ 4th to 5th grade transition afternoon
Monday, June 6th    8th grade Day Away
Tuesday, June 7th    8th grade graduation
Wednesday, June 8th    Last day of school (half day)

Tweets, quotes, and blogs

"Made for the Moment" 

We are all made for every moment we encounter.

Whether the moment makes us or we make the moment.

Where we are helpless in it or on top of it,

The predator or the prey.

We are made for that moment 

-Matthew McConaughey (from his book Greenlights)


(from Inspiring Quotes)

"You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough."

William Blake, poet, painter


(@graceandcompany)

"Everyone has to figure out their own line in the sand."
David Henry Hwang, playwright, screenwriter, librettist

(from Inspiring Quotes)

(from George Couros)

Educator Effectiveness
How are you doing with Educator Effectiveness?  Do you have any questions?  Have you thought about setting up a time to meet for our end of the year meeting?  I have already had some of these meetings and look forward to meeting with all of you before the end of the school year.  Please do your best to set up these meetings between now and Friday, May 20th.

Next week...
I have had the honor and privilege of coaching one of our volleyball teams this year.  It's a great group of girls who have fun and want to get better.  We talk about doing three things well each game- get our serves in, cover the floor, and have fun.  Our last practice is Tuesday morning before school and our tournament is on Thursday after school.  I'm not mentioning this so you can come watch us play (but if you want to we play at Arrowhead at 6:30ish) but instead to let you know that I will have more time for before and after school meetings if that fits better into your schedule to meet with me.  I wrote a blogpost titled "Call Me Coach" in 2017 with my friend Dennis Schug, a principal from NYC, about being a principal and a coach.  As the season has progressed, the girls have started calling me coach more often than Mr. Posick.  I must admit I really like that, but I like even more the reflective conversations that we have about your impact on our kids.

This weekend is Mother's Day, a weekend that I always spend with family.  Jen and I are spending time in Fox Lake this weekend with her family and Lauren.  I'm also running a 5K in Pardeeville (Isn't that a great name for a Wisconsin town?) on Saturday morning.  It's also opening weekend for fishing.  Running and fishing are two of my favorite things to do to relax and reflect.  I'll be with my mom and dad on Sunday to celebrate Mother's Day.  I encourage you to spend time with your family and friends this weekend.  It's a great weekend to make the moments count instead of counting the moments.
Have a great weekend!
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment