Friday, September 13, 2019

First full week

I don't know about you, but I'm sure glad that I've gotten back into the school routine.  I get up early with a purpose and, as much as possible, have my day planned out in my head.  Some days I run in the morning and other days I run in the afternoon.  Either way, I get in my run.  That routine never changes and it's often the time of day when I plan for the day or reflect on the day.  But the routine can sometimes be a drag.  When I get in a rut, sometimes it's just a little change that turns my day around.  A conversation with a student or colleague might just be what I need.  Finding a chance to take a walk around the school to just listen in on classes might be what I need.  But my days have a lot more freedom than yours might.  What do you do when you get into a rut?  If you feel up to it, share your ideas with me or a colleague.  Sharing is caring!

Great things I saw this week...
Students really focused on their work.
Your patience as the expectations and procedures are reviewed and reviewed again.
Students smiling when they come into school.
You smiling when you come into school.
Students explaining their foot orthosis.
The smell of French toast in cooking class (I saw this, too!)
A good group at our first Homework Club.
Students leading the learning in classes.
The patience of our students as they wait for our playground to be completed (Hopefully next week!)
Having a chance to have five minutes of focus on Wednesday morning.
The kids reaction when I introduced you all on Wednesday morning.
The online learning students focused on their learning (6 different courses going on at once!)

Calendar
Continue to review the Intermediate Special Events Calendar at our weekly grade level and specials meetings, too.

Friday, September 13th
Seussical auditions
Please make sure that you have turned in your completed CPI test to Barb!

Saturday, September 14th
EdCampMiddleLevel  8AM-2PM (I sure hope you can join me!)

Monday, September 16th
7th/8th FIN 6PM

Tuesday, September 17th
MAP testing (6th Reading, 7th/8th Math)
Board PD calendar meeting at 7:45AM (Please see me if you have any questions about this)

Wednesday, September 18th
MAP testing (5th Reading)
Culver's Night 4-8PM

Thursday, September 19th
MAP testing (6th Math)

Friday, September 20th
7/8 boys choir trip 7AM-2PM
7/8 dance 7-9PM

Monday, September 23rd
MAP testing (5th Math, 7th/8th Reading)
School Board meeting 7PM

Tuesday, September 24th
6th grade FIN 5:30PM

Wednesday, September 25th
5th grade FIN 5:30PM

Thursday, September 26th
Jay's mom's 80th birthday, and he needs someone to cover Homework Club!  Please!

Reminders and "new news"
*EE self-review meetings must be completed by Friday, September 27th
*Don't forget about PTO grants and Culvers' Nights

Claim it. Name it. Explain it.
Thanks to Katie for playing along last week with Zumi Zumi.  Here is this week's picture.
 


Tweets, blogs, and quotes
The Enthusiasm of Our Students (from George Couros)


The secret to life is meaningless unless you discover it yourself.
W. Somerset Maugham,
playwright, writer

(from MindShift)

The oldest, shortest words -- "yes" and "no" -- are those which require the most thought.
Pythagoras,
ancient Greek philosopher, mathematician



“I attribute my success to this:
I never gave or took an excuse.”
Florence Nightingale | 1820 - 1910 | English pioneer of modern nursing


The advice I would give to someone is to not take anyone's advice.
Eddie Murphy,
actor, comedian


Bringing Out the Gifts and Talents of Every Child (and adults, too! from George Couros)
(from Kids Together, Inc. via Jen)
(Jen shared this one, too)
mertonint on Instagram
Student presentation from 9.11.19
Family smore from 9.13.19
Well, I tried a bunch of things, but the formatting at the end of this post just doesn't seem to want to cooperate.  I have great plans every week to make our nuts and bolts look the best, but that just didn't happen this week.  Have you ever had issues like that, either at school or elsewhere?  I must admit, it happens to me more times than I care to admit.  But there's nothing wrong with admitting it, either.  We must own it when it doesn't work out, just as much, if not more, than we own it when it works out the way that we think it will.  The best part about thinking like this is that there's always next time.
#JustInspire
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other. Take care of yourself- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment