Friday, September 20, 2019

What was created this week?

I bet you had an amazing week.  You had students engaged in their learning, but what did they create?  You provided guidance and a safe learning environment, but what did you create?  If I'm asking you these questions, I should also ask myself the same question.  I created this blog post this week as well as a couple of other responses to two books I'm reading, Dare to Lead by Brene Brown and Innovate Inside the Box by George Couros.  In each of these, I had choice in what I wrote about.  How much choice do we give our students?  How much choice do we give ourselves.  Think about that as you continue to create great learning opportunities for our kids.  They'll thank you for it, and so will I.

Great things I saw this week...
Cool life long activities in PE
The playground construction moving along
Focus on MAP testing by the kids even with solar panel installation and an unplanned fire alarm
Students sharing their thinking about their Math work.
The great turnout for the play, with some unexpected participants (at least unexpected by me.  I know I need to get to know our students better.)
Teachers modeling their writing and thinking.
Patrick and Leah and Kim stepping up to help a student down the stairs during our fire alarm.
Ron, John, and Jordan coming quickly to assist with the fire alarm.
Students writing and reading in all of their classes.
Giggling during a book club discussion, by both students and teacher.
Your concern for kids, and doing what's best for them while still trying to increase their independence.
Kids soldering in Science.

Calendar
Please continue to review the Intermediate Special Events Calendar at our weekly grade level and specials meetings, too.

Friday, September 20th
7/8 boys choir trip 7AM-2PM
7/8 dance 7-9PM

Monday, September 23rd
MAP testing (5th Math, 7th/8th Reading)
School Board meeting 7PM

Tuesday, September 24th
6th grade FIN 5:30PM

Wednesday, September 25th
5th grade FIN 5:30PM

Thursday, September 26th
Jay's mom's 80th birthday, and he needs someone to cover Homework Club!  Please!


Reminders and "new news"
*EE self-review meetings must be completed by Friday, September 27th
*Don't forget about PTO grants and Culvers' Nights

Claim it. Name it. Explain it.
Thanks to Sarah and Becky P. for playing along last week.  Here's this weeks.

Tweets, quotes, and blogs
The Importance of Meaningful Creation (by George Couros)


You can put things off until tomorrow but tomorrow may never come.
Gloria Estefan,
Cuban-American singer, songwriter, businesswoman



It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it.
Lena Horne,
singer, dancer, actress, civil rights activist.

mertonint on Instagram
#EdCampML (Middle Level) session board
Family smore from 9.20.19

A 5 question request
Some of you may know that I'm reading three books at the same time right now.  They all happen to be either leadership or education books.  I'm reading Better Leaders Better Schools by Daniel Bauer (on my own), Dare to Lead by Brene Brown (as a Mustang University class), and Innovate Inside the Box by George Couros and Katie Novak (as a Facebook book discussion).  While reading George and Katie's book, I was struck by the 5 questions that George suggests we ask our students to start the year.  I tweaked the questions, just a bit, and put them into a Google form for you to complete.  Please take a few moments to reflect upon and answer the questions.  I will not look them over until September 27th so you have about a week to complete the form for me.  If you'd like to discuss any of this before or after you have completed the form, don't hesitate to ask.  Here's the link to the form, and thanks in advance for completing this.

Thanks for a great week!
#JustInspire
Jay
Take care of the kids.  Take care of each other.  Take care of yourself.- John Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment