Sunday, October 20, 2013

Time and Priority #SAVMP

It's interesting to me that I am blogging on time and priority on a Sunday morning.  I seem to find time every Saturday and Sunday to do "school work" while my wife and daughter sleep in.  Let me clarify sleeping in.  That just means that they sleep until about 8:00.  I'm an early riser and always have been.  I use the time before my family wakes up to catch up on emails, take part in #satchat on twitter, check out Google+, confirm my weekly calendar so that I'm prepared for meetings or observations, read blog posts, and write blog posts.  I do all of this while my family is still sleeping.
I mention this because it's the same process I try to use at school.  I'm in my office as little as possible every day while the students and staff are in school.  Before school during the week is my time to catch up on emails and paperwork.  Sometimes the same is true for after school, but that's only if there are not any after school activities or Homework Club.  While the students and staff are in school, the only reason I am in my office is if I have a meeting with a student, staff member, or parent.  I spend the majority of the school day with the students and staff in classrooms, in hallways, in the cafeteria, or on the playground.  I need to be in the school environment to know what is going on with our students and staff, both academically and behaviorally.  To paraphrase Todd Whitaker, "You can't lead a school from your office."  Being with the students and staff during the school day is what it's all about.  It's just my priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment